Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Been lurking and finally joined. 1904 VH 12ga straight grip
Unread 01-19-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
John J Sundelin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Been lurking and finally joined. 1904 VH 12ga straight grip

Hi all, great site.
I have been reading here on and off for a year or so trying to figure out what my best course of action on my 1904 VH 12ga with 30 inch extra full & full barrels, straight grip and #2 frame. I put some bad quality pictures in an album to give you an idea of the guns condition. I will take some better ones tomorrow.
It has been in my family for a long time but we weren't the original purchasers. I have never seen or heard of anyone firing it in my 48 years. The bores are nice and shiny with one tiny dent on bottom of one barrel. Barrels are brown colored except under forearm where there is original bluing. Bottom metal on forearm shows good case hardening color but is worn off on receiver.

The stock appears to be loaded with oil as it is very dark. Serial number is 124988 and matches on all parts including stamped into stock under trigger guard. Action is nice and tight when locked.

My plan, if possible, is to use it as an occasional trap and upland hunting gun. I am concerned about the oil soaked stock, it is solid without cracks but has a broken toe and plastic butt plate. I think it will have very nice figure if refinished.
I am ordering a research letter on it.
I have gently cleaned the decades of yellow oil stains off the metal parts with oil and nylon scrubby pads, brushes.

As for me, I live in Rhode Island, have a 47 acre farm and work a full time job. I was an aircraft machinist/welder while in the Air Force. I shoot tactical high power rifle matches along with fun rifle/pistol shoots at our local club. am currently building a savage based 6.5-06 long range rifle for use at 1000+ yards. Claim to fame; I removed a broken bolt from the front landing gear of one of the Thunderbird's F-16's. LOL

Questions:
Does this appear to be a special order gun due to barrel chokes, length and straight stock?

Is refinishing the stock viable if the gun has more than standard value?

Can dent be removed and keep barrels brown or do they need to be re-blued?

Again, Great Site, and seems like a great bunch of enthusiast's.
Thanks, John
John J Sundelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2016, 12:24 AM   #2
Gunner
Forum Associate

Member Info

John welcome to the PGCA. Great you have a gun with family history.
Nothing about your description suggests a special order gun. More info might change that but the letter will hopefully tell the story.
If stock is oil soaked as you say it should be restored if you plan to shoot it to prevent damage to the stock. Fixing the toe and buttplate shouldn't be a problem. Show pic of dent and others will advise about removal. Again welcome, Erick
Erick Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Dorr For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

John that's a nice, detailed description. If, as you say, the dent is tiny it can easily be removed by a competent gun smith. Hopefully, someone in your area can direct you to a proper smith who is familiar with Parkers. Let us know what your letter states about your gun. You never know.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 01-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

John, there is a very competent gunsmith near you in East Sandwich, MA. Give Dan Cullity a call, I'm sure he can advise you on all your questions related to condition and repair.

Dan Cullity
209 Old County Rd.
East Sandwich, MA 02537
(508) 888-1147
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Hello John - Welcome!

I'll echo what others have said about your family Parker and will add that it would be a decent waterfowl, pheasant, and turkey gun but unfortunately, would be a disappointment in the grouse and woodcock coverts... too heavy and too tightly choked.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

John,

You have a nice looking straight-grip VH. Dean gives good advice that your Parker would be better suited for the game hunting he mentioned.

Now you have a good reason now to find another Parker to better suit your needs and add to the collection

On another note and noticing you live in RI, we have an annual Parker Spring Fun shoot at Addieville Sporting Clays in the spring. It's usually March or April depending on the weather until spring finally arrives after a long winter.

Stick around and check the Shows, Events, and Conventions. It's a great time and you'll get to meet some of the people on this forum and a lot of nice Parker Guns.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
John J Sundelin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the nice welcomes. I am going to take some more pics tonight, I tried late last night but the lighting in the kitchen isn't photo friendly. I am going to wait until the letter comes to decide the next move. I have the butt plate off and noticed there is 988 written in pencil on the back so it is all original. I noticed the brown color on the barrels is blotchy so unless the letter says something crazy I am going to send it out for a proper cleaning, dent removal, re-blue, stock soak and refinish. The gun hangs perfect when I shoulder it so it will be worth it to me to to have it done. Thanks again, I'll post some pics later, John
Unread 01-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
John J Sundelin
Forum Associate

Member Info

I saw where there is a shoot at Addieville, I am 30 minutes south of it. I have never shot there but would love to.
I was already thinking of locating a lighter Parker, a friend said he had one hanging on the mantle so I had him see what it was, turns out it was a T Parker hammer gun made in Belgium. I already have my late dads Belgium made 10 gauge hammer gun I have been slowly cleaning up, it's in the same class as the T Parker, he used to shoot it years and years ago with full brass shells. I will keep looking for a lighter Parker for upland. I might try this VH on ducks someday. John

PS. I just did the online letter request so the wait is on. LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to John J Sundelin For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

Keep us informed about the PGCA letter. A straight grip stock on a VH Parker of the period is a bit unusual and to be appreciated.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #10
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

John,

The New England Parker boys have been gathering at Addieville to shoot for several years in the spring of the year. It date and time is announced here, on the forum, so keep an eye out for the date (I assume we will have the shoot again this year).

It started out small, maybe 6 or 8 of us but has grown every year. Last year we must of had 4 or 5 squads of 6 or 8 people each. Most of us don't even keep score, it a fun shoot; lots of laughs and a little BS thrown in too. Some stay afterward and we grill some burgers & dogs and people bring dishes to pass around too. Lots of Parker talk and just good fun. Some wives that don't shoot tag along too, so don't be afraid of bringing along non-shooters.

I'm sure you would enjoy the day and we would enjoy meeting you there.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post: