Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

20 ga. Parker Trojan - New member
Unread 07-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
robert farrell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Smile 20 ga. Parker Trojan - New member

I have inherited a Parker Trojan 20 ga. sxs. According to the serial number - 159536- it was made in 1912. It has been up in the attic for who knows how many years. By the looks of it, it has been used. Just asking around, some gunners say it's not worth much and some say it has some value. I was wondering if it could be restored cost effectively and what the value of this gun really is. I haven't done anything to it other than wipe it off and put in a new case. It was in a gun case that deteriorated when I tried to unpack it. Any response would be appreciated. I reside in southwest Florida. Thanks.

Bob Farrell
robert farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Beware the "gunners" who say it's not worth much. Value is what someone will pay and a nice small bore Parker of any kind is a gun that will sell.

I have one that's well worn, finish only, mechanicals are fine. Paid 1850 for it. Put bookends on value friend of mine just bought a real nice one for 2700. The two guns bought from dealers who sell a fair amount of SxS's. His at 2700 was a better buy than mine at 1850. Both guns unaltered and not damaged in any way just used to different degrees.

Others may disagree but my advice is better to buy a nicer example than pay for restoration with a Trojan. Spread on his gun and mine, about 1000 dollars. Cost much more than that to bring mine up to his guns standard and even if it was restored would still be a re-finished gun.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Bill is correct do not refinish (or restore) it as you won't get your money out of it, it will be a refinished Parker, clean and oil yours up, if you can post some pictures here hard to even tell you what to or not to do to the gun.

And again beware of those "gunners" they smell a quick buck at your expense Any small bore Parker with decent bores and tight on action is worth more then they are implying. Stay away from guys like that.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Thanks
Unread 07-12-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
robert farrell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. It helps a lot.

Bob
robert farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

20g Trojans are hard to touch for under $1,000 unless they are really roached.
If it does not NEED and restoration of refurbishment, then don't do it. Unless you want to, then it would cost more than the gun is realistically worth given the grade of the gun.
Unread 07-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

I would hold onto the case. It may be more salvageable than you think and might add interest to a buyer. Be aware you need to join PGCA in order to sell on here. 20 gauge Trojans are great guns and I have two
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 07-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Bob if you can post some pics of the gun you will get a much better appraisal of what you have. Include a pic or 2 of the case as well. Congratulations on inheriting a fine gun
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 07-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

This is a picture of the 20 gauge Trojan my father found under the Christmas Tree. It has seen almost ninety years of use and it shows. I will never restore it as Papa's hands wore it shiny and checker less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (612.6 KB, 19 views)
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #9
Jon Sheets
PGCA Member

Member Info

To restore or not to restore? Interesting question. Perhaps it depends on what you are willing to invest and what the value to you the gun has. If the gun cost you nothing initially, then a restoration might be worth the price. Assuming it's less than good, it would certainly give new life, and another 100 years of fine service, to an already utilitarian gun. If the idea is to use it then flip it, then leave it as is.

I beg to differ about the availability of modestly priced Trojans though. They can be found if you know where to look, and always keep an eye out. If you only look where everyone else is looking, expect to pay more.
Jon Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote