Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 12-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #11
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Lot of good Parker shooting central Va. Get in touch if you want some info.

You SW Virginia fellows ever shoot Summit Springs ? Do some business out your way. Be easy to carry a Parker along.

Bill
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
OldenHoo
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Lot of good Parker shooting central Va. Get in touch if you want some info.

You SW Virginia fellows ever shoot Summit Springs ? Do some business out your way. Be easy to carry a Parker along.

Bill
Bill,

I haven't shot there yet. I'd love to shoot down in central VA. Please let me know what is going on there. I'm been taking my dog (Jefferson-English Springer Spaniel) out at Shady Grove to shoot over him. I miss the days when I could run over to Craig, Bath or Allegheny County for Grouse with our old Springer.

Ken
Kenneth Andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Serial number question
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
OldenHoo
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Serial number question

Can someone please help me with identifying my gun? I put the serial number in to order the research letter for my gun but it came back that my serial number wasn't recognized. Clearly I know that I have a 12 gauge VH with full/full chokes but would like to know the history. The serial number is 208676. How disappointing if I couldnt get the research letter for my first Parker. Thanks.
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,149 Times in 3,258 Posts

you know its a VH 12, and you think it is all original. 30" barrels are a normal size and they are full/full so it's very unlikely they have been altered. The Stock is pinned - so again - likely the original.

what other identification are you looking for. even if records did exist, the only other information you would probably get for a V would be the dealer it was shipped to.

sounds like a nice gun to shoot and enjoy
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
OldenHoo
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
you know its a VH 12, and you think it is all original. 30" barrels are a normal size and they are full/full so it's very unlikely they have been altered. The Stock is pinned - so again - likely the original.

what other identification are you looking for. even if records did exist, the only other information you would probably get for a V would be the dealer it was shipped to.

sounds like a nice gun to shoot and enjoy
Rick,

Thanks, I guess I was more interested in the letter than anything to authenticate it through the association. I also wanted to be sure the chambers were 2 5/8 and this gun is also able to shoot 2.75" shells. I did purchase RSTs in #6 and #8s in 2.5" shells. I typically have AAs in 12 and 20 for the B guns and if RSTs weren't available, that I could turn to the AAs if need be.

The interesting thing with this gun is that the left BBL is .37 and the right is .38. That seems backwards to me. I realize the VH is the entry into the Parker world but it's my first. I like to know ALOT about things that interest me.

Anyway, thanks for bringing back from the edge. I'll survive. LOL
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,149 Times in 3,258 Posts

i expect the chamber won't be shorter than that, its possible they were lengthened - the only way to tell the length for sure is to have them measured.

no harm in wanting to know it all -
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,196 Times in 2,409 Posts

Ken;
If the barrels are in sound condition you will have no problems shooting 2.75" shells through it. If you don't handload, shoot the lowest pressure, payload you can find. 1oz. to me is a heavy load anymore as I shoot 3/4oz. loads in my 12's, 20's and 16's. Easier on that cracked stock and your shoulder. There is some readily available 7/8oz. factory stuff out there that's real mild too. Enjoy and don't make this your last Parker. (I bet it won't be).
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post:
Unread 12-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
OldenHoo
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Ken;
If the barrels are in sound condition you will have no problems shooting 2.75" shells through it. If you don't handload, shoot the lowest pressure, payload you can find. 1oz. to me is a heavy load anymore as I shoot 3/4oz. loads in my 12's, 20's and 16's. Easier on that cracked stock and your shoulder. There is some readily available 7/8oz. factory stuff out there that's real mild too. Enjoy and don't make this your last Parker. (I bet it won't be).
Daryl,

Thanks. I was planning on using 1oz because that is what I have but I know AAs come in 3/4. I don't plan to do it often but when I do, I'll do it. Both barrels ring nicely and bores are bright and clean. I've had several people tell me I can open the chokes up but I'm going to leave this gun alone.

I see your from MD. I am torn between upland or a goose gun next. I hunt quite a bit out in Chestertown. I couldn't think of anything better than taking my two birds with a Parker instead of my Benelli. My springer would prefer an upland gun I'm sure. This VH won't be my last.

Ken
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenneth Andres For Your Post:
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #19
Larry Mason
PGCA Member

Member Info

Howdy Ken,

Welcome to the PGCA! My Brittany went to school at Shady Grove. Wonderful folks as is here. These gentleman's advice is priceless. But, beware, the Parker bug is highly contagious.

Larry Mason
King George, VA
Larry Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Mason For Your Post:
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
OldenHoo
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mason View Post
Howdy Ken,

Welcome to the PGCA! My Brittany went to school at Shady Grove. Wonderful folks as is here. These gentleman's advice is priceless. But, beware, the Parker bug is highly contagious.

Larry Mason
King George, VA
Larry,

Jefferson and I hunt there about six times a year. Neil runs a great facility and Sharon is great with training. The fields they have are larger than most preserves and the birds fly well early. With my dog, the more birds the better. I'm still trying to figure out how I can do a hunt with my gun there without exploding the birds. I'll just have to wait a little longer and of course the better solution is to buy a Parker in 20 gauge. LOL.

I went out to shoot sporting clays today with my parker and browning. There's no question that this gun kicks like a mule and the chokes are tight. It took some getting used to but I enjoyed shooting it for the first time today. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000706_edit_edit.jpg (497.2 KB, 3 views)