Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Newest Member
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
James Brigham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Newest Member

Although I've known about the PGCA and own a 1924 VH 16 on a 0 Frame, recently I acquired a 1875 Hammer under lifter 12 ga. project gun and was looking for additional information on it. I have the most of the Parker books, as a dear friend has an amazing collection of DH Damascus in all gauges!!!! He is my go to guy, but with this hammer it's a new world. She needs assistance, but the price was right. Will it ever scare grouse and woodcock in my beloved New England woods come fall?
James Brigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Welcome James

Please post some pictures of your project gun
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
James Brigham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Big Sigh

Well now that I've taken it all apart and did the research, (big sigh here) I've learned a few things. 1. The action is a #2 frame 12 ga. The action and stock match serial numbers. 2. The barrels and forehand are a TEN, yes 10 ga. The serial number match the forehand and barrels, so basically I have a wall hanger or I can cannibalize it and sell off the parts! I am sad to see this, but then again I paid $150.00 for it. It would look great in my office, so I'm contemplating what to do with it. Ever heard of such a thing? I've seen plenty of composite guns (different barrels, actions, forehands etc..) but all of the same ga. Neglect is an unforgivable crime!
Unread 02-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Plenty of Parker 10ga guns are built on a #2 frame.

I don't understand why you feel its relegated to being a wallhanger. Why don't you shoot it? Parker made plenty of so called light upland 10's, although none of them are really light.

Here's an internal hammer Parker, #2 frame with light 10's. Its a two barreled set, the others being 12's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoDAk2012 014.jpg (277.1 KB, 3 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Andy Kelley
Forum Associate

Member Info

James please post pictures and slow down with the relegation to decorator status. You may have the components of a very nice gun and it could bring you many happy days afield. Best of luck with it and carry on! Andy
Andy Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
James Brigham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Let me ask you all this. I knew of the light 10 (10 frame) 12 barrels. But has anyone seen it the other way around? Again, I have a 12 frame, 10 barrels. This is new territory for me. Still working on the pics.
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

James, your thinking too much

First of all, what's the serial number??? Second, Parker didn't make actions according to gauge, they made them to the frame size (distance between firing pin holes.) If your sure it's a #2 frame size, it could be anything from a 10,11,or 12 gauge in that time period.

Or are you saying the receiver's (you call it the action) serial number is different than the barrel and forend serial numbers???
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
James Brigham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes, I was, the receiver is a #2 frame serial number 6527. Research shows it was a 12 ga made in 1875 underlifter 30" barrels. The butt stock matches the receiver and trigger guard. The barrels and forend serial numbers are 6410 which according to records was a 10 ga 30". Sadly, the rib is shot and the barrels have been cut (rather hack job) to 26 3/4" So again my question is: is this a total mis-match or would (after restoration) one be able to fire this? I trying to weigh my options with this (restore, cannibalize for parts, wall hanger in my office, trading material, as my youngest son needs to be out fitted. His brother shoots an Ithaca Flues 20. I have a beautiful VH 16, but in too nice a condition for a 12 year old . Any info would be great.
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

James, I hope you own your own business or work out of the office in your house. Not to many companies let you have a gun for a wallhanger these days.

Can you shoot your gun? Most critical is the condition of the barrels and how they fit to the receiver. Wall thickness and deep pits are the most important for the barrels. If they are ok and the barrels fit tight to the receiver, it's up to you and your gunsmith to figure out if it's ok to shoot. If it is, I'd only use low pressure loads. With that much of the barrels cut, they would be cyl/cyl and would be good for close shooting.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
James Brigham
Forum Associate

Member Info

As a matter of fact, I do own my own business! You are correct Sir! On any given day, you can find my bird dogs, one curled under my desk, the other on the leather couch in the lobby area, woofing or wagging at who ever happens to cross the thresh hold. The entire office looks like an Upland Guide Service, with the sporting prints, grouse fans, bronze statues, lithographs, shadow boxes and other do-dads of this passion of ours. I would not dare to shoot this particular gun (yet) and that says a lot. I hunt with a 109 year old Wesley Richards. My 14 year old uses his 100 year old Flutes 20, and now as of today, my 12 year old with a 1917 Flues 16.
The Following User Says Thank You to James Brigham For Your Post: