Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #21
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

The question I have is is it possible to tell from examining the barrel that the wedge style lug has been removed and replaced with the King lat h lug??? It looks like the wedge lug is longer and there seems to be a longer darker area in the photo of the 15901 barrels. Is that correct? Do you have another example of the wedge to King Latch conversion to see if that idea holds. The reason I ask is because I have a pre 1878 Parker with a King Latch and it doesn't appear That either the barrel of the forfend have been altered from the wedge style.

Your help in answering this question would be greatly appreciated.

Richard
Richard B. Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Dave,Thank you for the explanation. Page 99 in the TPS states."The new system was based on the Deeley and Edge latch" If King recieved a patent for his new design and we know he did then the mechanism must be different enough. Another thing that I never knew is the the new latch was offered in the 1878 catalog at $5 extra on guns below grade3. The "King" latch became standard in 1880.

Thanks for driving me back to TPS.
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,551 Times in 4,623 Posts

When looking at the photos of the two different forend loops earlier in the thread, I would think it possible to modify the keyed loop to accept the latch type forend. But That is jsut based on the photo and not taking measurments or having both in front of me. I would think the replacement of the loop to be a bit more than easy to do. Wouldn't the loop be silver soldered and the ribs tin soldered? Making the removal of the loop harder than the ribs?
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #24
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

One would hope so Brian, but we've seen a good number of latch-type forend loops come loose even with the proper splinter forend in use.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #25
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Richard, I don't have another wedge latch to compare. No evidence I can see of a latch removal/replacement. I think the dark spots are just rust and grime.The bases are the same length 1 5/16, and in the same position on the barrels. If you'll be attending the Southern I can bring them along and you can inspect them first hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k1.JPG (408.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg k2.JPG (423.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg k3.JPG (421.6 KB, 1 views)
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert Rambler For Your Post:
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #26
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Robert,

Thanks. from this image it is clear that they are the same size, so there may be no way to answer this question. I would love to attend the Southern, but I doubt that it will be possible this year. I do not think my wife will feel up to the trip and I can not leave her here alone. If this changes I will be here. If I can come I will bring my bore gauges. I am still very much interested in learning more about Parker's use of full length tapered bores. Do any of your lifter guns have this feature?

So far I have found full length taper bores in Serial Numbers:

3451 - 11 bore barrels; 11A chambers
3561 - 11 bore barrels; 11A chambers
3620 - 11bore barrels; 10A chambers
3752 - 10 bore right, 11 bore left; 11A chambers

3451 to 3752must have spanned a very short period of time--but there may be lower and higher serial numbers that just have not yet been measured. It would be nice if we could get info on the patterning of these guns from the records.

I know this data only for # 3561 --- the right barrel delivered 120 pellets and the left delivered 125 pellets from 1 and 1/8 oz of #8 shot into 24" diameter circle at 45 yds.

I would love to hear of other Parker's with full length tapered bores and the difference in dates of completion of 3451to 3752.

Yours,

Richard
Richard B. Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #27
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,551 Times in 4,623 Posts

Yeah, based on those comparisons, it looks like the loop location is comparable, but the amount of metal on the loop on the back side is not enough ton the key type compared to the latch type.
It would be very interesting to know what happened to that Parker years ago.