Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 08-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Think I agree with charlie - I at one time tried over and over to load brass 12ga shells with nitro and glued OS wads with no success - just bloopers. No proof what caused the problems. But Brad will be boring out my heavy 10 to a 8 and I like Daryls' idea.
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Daryl Middlebrook
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yep!!!--you gentlemen are correct about applying pressure until the glue dries. I too had bloopers until I learned.-----Again, this poses the question of how much wad pressure? And what effect it may have on chamber pressure.

A short piece of dowel and a C clamp works great.

What powders are you gentlemen using for the 4 and 8 gauge?
Daryl Middlebrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #13
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

daryl i m using blue dot in the 8 ga and use tom arbrust info on the 8 ga.. i also use pyrodex and triple 7...50 grains of pyrodex and 1 1/2 ounce of lead shot makes a really goods lite load in the 8 ga..i ve shot several of these loads rolled crimped.. no recoil felt but plenty of power will cut oak leaves away up in a tree... i alsoi have loaded clays powder in the 8 ga seemed to work fine in lite loads... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
10 gauge round ball
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 10 gauge round ball

i ve been wondering what a round ball of lead for a ten ga would weigh on the average anybody got any ideas..any body loading round ball load at the present for the short ten or have a idea of how they would load it..i mguessing the round ball will way more than 1 1/4 ounce i m gonna guess it will be closer to 1 1/2 ounce..anybody know... charlie
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
i ve been wondering what a round ball of lead for a ten ga would weigh on the average anybody got any ideas..any body loading round ball load at the present for the short ten or have a idea of how they would load it..i mguessing the round ball will way more than 1 1/4 ounce i m gonna guess it will be closer to 1 1/2 ounce..anybody know... charlie
A ten gauge bore is ten to a pound, 1.6 ounces, but you would downsize it to fit in a hull or wad. So I would guess you would be in this range depending on if you are using a plastic wad or just a felt wads under it. you would need to measure the inside diameter of the hull or wad you are using. and i am guessing this would only be true for a cylinder bore, if the gun is choked, go with the smallest spot in the choke.

.730 = 586 grains = 1.34 oz
.735 = 598 grains = 1.37
.760 = 661 grains = 1.5
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #16
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

thanks for the info...i m going to try the 10 ga round ball next for deer but i ve got to get one with the 8 ga pumpkin ball load first..i figure a ten ga mite have more accuracy than the 8 but won t know till i try...i know the accuracy of the round ball is not as good as rifled slugs.. charlie
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've shot lots of "trade gun " matches here in Michigan with a flintlock muzzleloader , round ball, no rear sight. We shoot at metal clangers - different shape items. Most guys usually shot good out to maybe 75 or 80 yards - some targets at 100 - most at or under 50. With rear sights one year we used them in rifle matches and did real good out to 80 yards. My gun would shoot 12" low at 50 yards, so I put two really small headed tacks 2/3 of the way back from the muzzle on each side of the barrel where the forearm wood met the barrel. This way there was no rear sight above the plane of the barrel. I placed them from trail and error where I could hold my head high enough to see them and hit the bulls eye. Never told anyone about those little brass tacks and use to hit about every target. Problem was I couldn't throw a knife and hawk worth a damn so I still wouldn't win over all. The round ball is good I think out to about 50 yards for a killing shot. The last dear I shot was with my homemade matchlock [ .715 RB ] was about 20yds and it dropped in it's tracks. I've got some .695 RB's, maybe I'll try to work up a load for my Parker 12s. I think 65grs of 3F would work just fine.