Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

1920 Parker 12 Gauge Trojan Steel Disassembly Issues
Unread 04-24-2024, 12:35 PM   #11
ZackaryAbraham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 1920 Parker 12 Gauge Trojan Steel Disassembly Issues

Hello Everyone,

Quick question, I have just recently became a proud owner of a Parker Brothers 12 Gauge Trojan Steel Side by Side that was made in the year 1920. (I found out through the Serial Number Register Search). I am having issue with the disassembly though. I am an avid hunter and gun collector and have never had this issue with any of my double barrels. Granted this gun was not taken the best care of and who knows its back story. But from the nicks in the wood to the wearing on the barrel I am sure this shotgun saw a good bit of hunting.

When I remove the forend of the shotgun I can not get the barrel to come off. I have lubed and shot this shotgun and still can not remove it. I am unsure and unaware of what exactly I my be doing wrong or what in the gun I need to focus on to repair the issue. I would prefer to keep this out of the gunsmiths hands and hopefully repair or just correct the issue I am having at home. I am using Lucas Oil to lubricate the gun and Hoppes #9 for internal cleaning. There is movement with the barrels when I have the forend off however not enough to remove or even move them more than a 1/8" inch.

This is a big issue because I feel that I cannot properly identify the grade and model of the Parker, because I cannot see the markings. I know it is nothing fancy but I would love to learn more information about it.

Any insight on the matter is greatly appreciated!
ZackaryAbraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2024, 12:50 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,282 Times in 12,390 Posts

The model is the Trojan. It is the lowest of any gun Parker Bros. made. Next up from there is the Grade-0 (VH), then the Grade-1 (PH), then the Grade-2 (GH) and so on.
Put the forend back on, pull both triggers, take the forend back off then remove the barrels if they will release.
Sounds like, if it’s loose with the forend on you should have it professionally taken care of or continued shooting will only loosen it further that may run into more costly repairs.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 04-24-2024, 01:34 PM   #13
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,486 Times in 977 Posts

I did it once. Which means I will only do it once

Reply to Dean
Unread 04-24-2024, 01:51 PM   #14
ZackaryAbraham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Reply to Dean

Dean,

When together the gun is solid, I only meant that when the forend is off and I am trying to remove the barrel it has play like it is wanting to come off but something is holding it in place. Also the model I have is the Trojan.

Thanks,
ZackaryAbraham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZackaryAbraham For Your Post:
Barrel removai
Unread 04-24-2024, 05:11 PM   #15
Gary Cripps
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Barrel removai

The first Parker I bought / owned had the same problem. The barrel would not back off the pin. Since it had sat in a closet over 50 years someone here suggested I remove the forearm, dose it with thin oil and park it barrel down. Did that for a week and the barrels slid right off. The center of the water table was filled with solid old grease. Once it softened it came apart.
Gary Cripps is offline   Reply With Quote