Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 02-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #11
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

She is beautiful Allen.
Unread 02-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #12
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

Dan, it was nice with the cut stock but it didn't fit me properly. I struggled at first with deciding on whether to leave it as is or re-stock it knowing that "originality" is an important factor in collecting Parkers. But when Henry Tenney had the stock cut down for his wife, I figured that originality in the purest sense of the word was lost. At that point in my reasoning, the issue of re-stocking and case coloring became somewhat moot. I did save all the original wood and will keep it with the gun. I've shot 6 rounds of skeet with this Parker and I must say it comes up to the shoulder nicely and fits me like a glove. I'm very pleased with it and look forward to hunting with it this coming Fall, hopefully in northern Maine (probably in and around Kokadjo where I've hunted before) and with my English Setter Sophie.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

"Welcome to Kokadjo - Population, Not Many"

I see that sign every time I drive through... well, almost every time... I blinked once and missed Kokadjo entirely.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dean, let's just hope the grouse population up there is good this year
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 02-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #15
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Allen that came out beautifully congratulations. I have bought quite a few blanks from cecil and never been disappointed. On one the smith had it all headed up and discovered a flaw, I thought for sure I was out the $600 for the blank. Cecil took it back no questions and replaced it.

After much consideration and self doubt I have taken a set of barrels to Brad for refinishing. I know they will be beautiful when there done.
Unread 02-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #16
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,196 Times in 891 Posts

As others have commented, very nice. I am usually not a fan of re-finished Parkers, but those case colors came out VERY nice. Congrats.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 02-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #17
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks Steve. I have great respect for those among us who collect and preserve Parkers in original condition. Except for a few Parkers that I have in original condition, the ones I shoot regularly are not completely original. I tend to think of myself more of a bird shooter than collector but what I have I take good care of and hopefully my grandsons will appreciate them when it's their turn to carry the Parker torch. For me, Parkers are the holy grail of American double guns. (no offense meant to you Fox, Lefever and LC Smith collectors)
Unread 02-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #18
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Here we go getting caught up in the refinished VS original debate again. The English have been sending guns back to the manufacturer be it H&H, Purdey, Mc Naughton or who ever and it doesn't seem to matter value wise. I see no harm in restoring a gun that has been well used/neglected. I have restocked several to fit me so I can use them. What's the point of having a nice gun if it doesn't fit and therefore can't be used?? I restocked (and made it a straight grip) a CHE 20 that had 4 inches of drop and was short to boot. I can now use it and enjoy it.

Allen your kids, grand kids and hopefully great grand kids will enjoy the new life you put into that gun.
Unread 02-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #19
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Here we go getting caught up in the refinished VS original debate again. The English have been sending guns back to the manufacturer be it H&H, Purdey, Mc Naughton or who ever and it doesn't seem to matter value wise. I see no harm in restoring a gun that has been well used/neglected. I have restocked several to fit me so I can use them. What's the point of having a nice gun if it doesn't fit and therefore can't be used?? I restocked (and made it a straight grip) a CHE 20 that had 4 inches of drop and was short to boot. I can now use it and enjoy it.

Allen your kids, grand kids and hopefully great grand kids will enjoy the new life you put into that gun.
Well Said !!!
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 02-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #20
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

No debate Rich, I just wanted to explain my reasoning behind the decision to re-stock and case color this Parker and dispel any notions that I was messing with an original Parker. That's all. I appreciate your post.
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post: