Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Local gun show review
Unread 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,165 Times in 3,261 Posts

Default Local gun show review

Went to the local gun show today, what a crowd, bumper to bumper backed out down the main road traffic. no protesters, but I was talking to a friend who is one of the organizing directors of the Empire State Collectors assc when he was pulled away because a local TV stations was insisting on entering, that was the second one and the show was only few hours old. The show's venue was new - due to the old one being sold - no politics there, but finding who I liked to see ina whole new setting was more work.

the good news is - if you went to look at double guns, you had room, most of the crowd seemed to be in a rush to beat the Govenor's annoucement that he want the "toughest gun laws in the nation" by the end of the month, not the most effective, not the fairest, not - well you get the idea. Black guns and magazines ( a story "leaked" to a NYC paper yesterday suggested a 7 or 8 round limit on mags) were certainly on the hot list. I have a theory on whats coming and I hope I am wrong but being NY and since both houses are Dems as well as the Gov, so I may not be.

I didn't bring anything home this soon after Christmas, Parker wise - mostly well worn V and P examples most were fairly priced and a couple Trojans (those were the most overpriced I thought). Did see a needs only a little work 20 VH that might be justifiable and a redone left hand (cast on) straight grip 20 VH that looked nice -but I'm right handed. I did see a couple other makers SxS's I slightly hesitated to put back down. but really nothing I was going to lose any sleep over. One nice to get to see rifle was a great condition Winchester 1866. I was looking at a friend's 1873 with a single set trigger when someone walked up with a slip case and showed him the '66. Great piece of history, he pulled out his briefcase as I walked away, not sure if he closed a deal or not.

Got to see a couple friends I missed during hunting season and got updates on their fall adventures, heard the sad tale of a husband/wife Newfoundland Moose hunt that turned into a trapped at base camp by one of the soaking noreasters story, but this couple always take these things in stride.

All in all, not a bad way to spend a winter's morn with whats coming.
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,633 Times in 4,628 Posts

Rick,
I must have missed you today at the show. I had 2 tables towards the back of the building with my checkering cradle set up and working. The crowd was thick for sure. I didn't hear any talk about news crews though.
I was working my tables alone, so I never got a chance to walk around at all.
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,165 Times in 3,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Rick,
I must have missed you today at the show. I had 2 tables towards the back of the building with my checkering cradle set up and working. The crowd was thick for sure. I didn't hear any talk about news crews though.
I was working my tables alone, so I never got a chance to walk around at all.
Sorry to have missed you Brian, i had looked for you as I bulled through the crowd, but I'll admit to limited patience in crowds. Next time I'll get your location ahead of time.

The March show is in April this year I was told.
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Our local news showed the long lines at a local gun show as well. They homed in on the Black Guns and the general attitude of get it while you can.

i haven't been to a show in years, tired of sorting through the Black Guns, Jerky, Military stuff and arts&crafts to look at overpriced doubles (if you can find one) and Winchesters.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote