Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 09-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Dean,

I talked to him the other day and he had been working on your barrels earlier. I've seen his work, you'll be plenty happy.

Murphy,

Did you at least get a pad put on my 5 frame 10 gauge hammerless magnum? That piece of crap that was on there was a sin before God.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
Dean,

I talked to him the other day and he had been working on your barrels earlier. I've seen his work, you'll be plenty happy.

Murphy,

Did you at least get a pad put on my 5 frame 10 gauge hammerless magnum? That piece of crap that was on there was a sin before God.

Destry
You have a 5 frame hammerless????

I will be picking up the hammer 5 frame 10 from Edgar on Saturday. He said that it has one of the nicest pieces of wood he has ever seen. If the wood turns out that nice and the bbls are certainly really nice. I may be forced into a case color job at some point. I am in need of a really good checkering artist. Checking, DHBP installation, finish up the extractor and it should be ready for an outing in the goose blind.

BTW it was good to see you last weekend. I ended up with one of Humberstone's little blue wing teal decoys. I may have to oder a few of his scaup like yours for next year.

Kurt
Unread 09-18-2009, 05:00 AM   #13
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Kurt,

Was a pleasure visiting with you as well, thanks for letting me hang out at your booth. Humberstone does good decoy work for the most reasonable price I'm aware of anywhere. That little rig of buffleheads he did for Jim is so nice I think I'm gonna have to order a set for myself.

Please don't case color that gun, it would break my heart. It's got honest wear, leave it that way. A nice dull oil finish on the stock, nothing too bright. Since you're gonna sell it to me one day soon I should get to pick......

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 09-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #14
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
Kurt,

Was a pleasure visiting with you as well, thanks for letting me hang out at your booth. Humberstone does good decoy work for the most reasonable price I'm aware of anywhere. That little rig of buffleheads he did for Jim is so nice I think I'm gonna have to order a set for myself.

Please don't case color that gun, it would break my heart. It's got honest wear, leave it that way. A nice dull oil finish on the stock, nothing too bright. Since you're gonna sell it to me one day soon I should get to pick......

Destry
LOL....!!! Don't worry, I don't have the $$ for much more work on it anyway. I need to get some work done on a DH10 3 frame.

Those buffies are also nice....hard to decide which species to go with. A dozen mallards would also be nice....

Kurt
Unread 09-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

Destry, the little 34" Vulcan Steel ten gauge magnum is on a #6 frame. However, it may be a little much for even you to handle in the field at 13 1/2 pounds. The base of the original Silvers pad is still intact. If the screws aren't in the way, I may just have the base checkered and not install a new pad. My main hunting ten magnum has a buttplate and only weighs 9 pounds. At 13 1/2 pounds, recoil shouldn't be a problem.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #16
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill,
Bill,

My 8 gauge weighs more than that and I can handle it like a magic wand. Anytime you're ready on that big 10 I think I can manage to tote it around.

Kurt,
I'm already sceptical after seeing that bright finish on the butt stock.

I love Humberstones divers but I really ain't too keen on his puddle ducks. He's got an eye for the heads on the divers, that folky but also realistic style. But the shallow water birds just don't seem to shine when he does them. He's an old diver shooter from way back, I'd imagine that's why......

Destry
Unread 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
jack lyons
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wher is Russ Located , What does charge to blue barrels ?
jack lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Russ is in the Northeast . . . New York or Pennsylvania but I don't remember which and don't have my address book with me.

I paid him $400 to rust-blue my Titanic barrels and I'm very impressed with his work. Delighted is probably a better word.

I don't know if he is still inundated with work but he was buried in work a few months ago. Don Kaas can probably answer this question or Russ himself if he comes on.

Last edited by Dean Romig; 10-19-2009 at 02:55 PM..
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

I believe Russ is "inudated". Waterfowl (insert squirrel, turkey, grouse, deer, etc.) season is a busy time for him, not to mention pigeon shooting...he also tries to do some gunsmithing on occasion too Coming home on Saturday from MD, The Colonel inquired of when he planned to do some bluing and the answer was none planned at the moment...Seriously, I know he is working on some very high end stocking jobs right now for one of his best Perazzi clients and one Parker for a BBS contributor...then there is the matter of the 5 guns of mine he has, all little jobs but one, thankfully...
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Even the lowly buttplate screw sometimes requires custom fabrication to get the job done properly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buttplate screw making 004.jpg (54.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg buttplate screw making 005.jpg (56.4 KB, 23 views)
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote