Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New Member from Texas
Unread 09-14-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
Bibb Gault
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New Member from Texas

Hi there guys,
My name is Bibb and yes, that is my real, given first name. I have gravitated here because like alot of members, I have inherited some Parker shotguns and parts from my dad who died three years ago this month. Some on this forum that are into custom knives might know of him. My dad, Clay Gault,from Austin,Texas, was a custom knife maker.{30+years Knife Makers Guild Member}

I have been looking through the Parker identification section and could use a little help with a stamping I cannot identify on a 28ga. GH{stamped "2"},0 frame,hammerless with special steel barrels. Records from this forum indicate it was made in 1902{114xxx} Here we go... directly BELOW the ser# on the watertable and perfectly centered is a "G". What does this "G" mean? Does this mean that the gun was repaired or modified at some point in its life? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, If anyone can point me to a reputable Parker expert/appraiser in the San Antonio/Austin area that would be very appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Bibb T. Gault
San Antonio,Texas
Bibb Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,934 Times in 1,411 Posts

Bibb,

Welcome to the world of Parkers! The "G" under the watertable of the receiver just means it's a grade G as does the 2 above the serial number. I don't know why they double identified the grade that way.

You have a very valuable Parker if in good condition. We'd all like to see pictures of it. Take as many closeup in focus pictures of the watertable, receiver sides and bottom, the barrel flats, the stock, the muzzles, and the end of the rib where it terminates. Also if you would post the full serial number, we should be able to find it in the serialization book and tell you it's original configuration.

I don't know where Terrell Texas is in relation to where your at but Herschel Chaddick is a long time Parker collector and dealer. http://www.chadicksltd.com/site/amshots.htm

Last edited by Chuck Bishop; 09-14-2010 at 07:27 AM..
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Welcome Bibb (that's not such an unusual name to me - I had a friend in my early school years named Bibby Michulski)

I read something of your Dad's passing. These things are never easy but time softens it a bit.

Chuck gave you good information and all that I would add is that I sure would like to see pictures of your 28 ga. GH.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Bibb Gault
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the quick replies. The full ser# is 114514 I will get right on the photos and post some by this evening. I am positive that there was some work done to this gun about 25-30 years ago, specifically the barrels if I recall. I remember that it was sent to the UK because at that time my dad could not find anyone here in the US that he felt was qualified{in 28 ga.} to perform the work. The gun to my un Parker trained eyes appears to be very good condition for a firearm this old but I would bet that some time in its life it recieved some mild cleaning up as it simply looks too good for the age. The metal work appears to be in better condition than the stock. I have about 20 boxes of shells for this gun, although I know for a fact my dad never fired it after the work was performed in the UK. I will post the pics and listen to what you guys think. I also have 2 other Parkers{20 ga.} and a extra set of barrels that I think are 16 ga. These 2 guns probably fall into the "parts" classification as 1 is missing the stock and 1 has a barrel with a catastrophic failure{split wide open}

Thanks,
Bibb T. Gault
www.bibbgaultphoto.com

Last edited by Bibb Gault; 09-14-2010 at 10:58 AM..
Unread 09-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

OK, your GH should have 28" barrels with a capped pistol grip stock.

Bibb, I don't think you'll have any problems taking pictures of your Parker You wouldn't believe how many pictures that we get that are too far away to see detail, too dark, and too out of focus. I especially like the picture of the lady on your web site

Don't assume that your other two Parkers are parts guns. Stocks and barrels can be found or made to make them whole again.
Pics of my 28 GH posted
Unread 09-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Bibb Gault
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Pics of my 28 GH posted

I posted some pics of my 28 GH in an album labeled "Bibb's 28 ga. GH" please give me your thoughts and I will post some better shots of the complete gun when I get some time maybe tomorrow.
Thanks,
Bibb T. Gault
Unread 09-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bibb, this gun has had major work done to it. My comments are only meant to inform you of it's condition, not as a criticism.

The metal has been recase colored, the checkering on the forarm has been recut and there is no blank space where the checkering meets the release lever. The buttplate may be original and the wood at the widow's peak can be fixed. The major thing is that the barrels are fluid steel with the correct rib marking but they have been sleeved (I hope that is the correct term) and the chamber area of the barrels are damascus maybe from a C grade gun. Also strange is the notches for the firing pins seen on the extractor.

I'm sure those more knowledegable than me can add their comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibb Gault View Post
I posted some pics of my 28 GH in an album labeled "Bibb's 28 ga. GH" please give me your thoughts and I will post some better shots of the complete gun when I get some time maybe tomorrow.
Thanks,
Bibb T. Gault
Unread 09-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Bipp,Your gun 114514 is in the serialization book. It is listed as a Damascus Grade 2 28 gauge gun with 28" barrels gun,extractors and a pistol grip stock.Had the gun been kept original and not sleeved it would be worth more. Still a very nice gun that will clean up nicely.
Unread 09-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
Bibb Gault
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck or Dave,
Could you enlighten me on the sleeving of the barrels issue. My gut feeling is that at some point, my dad actually intended to use this gun and the Damascus barrels that were on the gun were not usable/unsafe, and it simply was not practicle if he actually wanted to shoot it to put new Damascus barrels on it. Did I make any sense? I also bet that at the time like alot of future collectable things, this was "just an old shotgun". I measured the barrels and and they have been cut as they are only about 25.5" long. I will post some pics of the other 2 parkers and parts when I get a chance.

Thanks,
Bibb
Unread 09-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Mike
Forum Associate

Member Info

Welcome Bibb. Your web site is outstanding. I haven't seen your Parker pics yet but I bet they are outstanding.

Mike
Mike Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote