Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

James Jeffries
Unread 03-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
Bill Mullins
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,069 Times in 169 Posts

Default James Jeffries

Clint..
In a NRA publication, titled NRA GUN COLLECTING REVIEW, Volume 1, 1983, an article by Michael McIntosh on "The Value of A Parker Gun" he pictures an AHE purchased by boxing champion James J. Jeffries as a gift for his sparing partner C. William Kolb. The gold medallion in the grip cap reads "Jas. J. Jeffries to C. William Kolb--1915"
Of note, it is my understand the NRA publication was a one-off issue and is now a collector piece itself.
Bill Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Mullins For Your Post:
Unread 03-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

It just keeps getting better!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2016, 12:11 AM   #13
Clint Dunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Carr View Post
Decided to Google James Jeffries. Plenty of great history on him. What's struck me was some of his fights went 20 rounds. This was in the day when they didn't have indoor airconditioned rings. Wonderful history. I hope he spent many years hunting with this gun. Any chance you have some family hunting pictures?
Twenty rounds indeed, I can't imagine the type of stamina needed for that. The fight where he lost his championship was scheduled for forty-five rounds ,but was stopped in the fifteenth.
As for family hunting pictures, I have seen some,but will have to do some digging. I will post some if I find some. Thanks for your input!

Clint
Clint Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clint Dunn For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2016, 12:20 AM   #14
Clint Dunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mullins View Post
Clint..
In a NRA publication, titled NRA GUN COLLECTING REVIEW, Volume 1, 1983, an article by Michael McIntosh on "The Value of A Parker Gun" he pictures an AHE purchased by boxing champion James J. Jeffries as a gift for his sparing partner C. William Kolb. The gold medallion in the grip cap reads "Jas. J. Jeffries to C. William Kolb--1915"
Of note, it is my understand the NRA publication was a one-off issue and is now a collector piece itself.
Thank you for your post Bill, I have heard of that gun, but have never seen the article...I'll be sure to research it. There has been talk in my family that there is another presentation gun around (in the family) that was presented to Jim Jeffries from either Ithaca or parker. From what I've been told, it's a real showstopper. I'll keep digging for more info on that one.
Clint Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Clint Dunn For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #15
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

Clint ,this is a great thread ...i've been up to my eyes and just discovered ,keep it coming !
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #16
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

As a shameless chauvinist and former boxer, I can't help myself from sneaking in a Nova Scotia connection with Johnson. Langford was popular as much as Johnson was reviled. From Wikipedia:

"Samuel "Sam" E. Langford (March 4, 1883 – January 12, 1956) was a Black Canadian boxing standout of the early part of the 20th century. Called the "Greatest Fighter Nobody Knows," by ESPN, many boxing historians consider Langford to be one of, if not the greatest fighter of all time. Originally from Weymouth Falls, a small community in Nova Scotia, Canada. He was known as "The Boston Bonecrusher," "The Boston Terror," and his most infamous nickname, "The Boston Tar Baby." Langford stood 5 ft 7 1⁄2 in (1.71 m) and weighed 185 lb (84 kg) in his prime. He fought from lightweight to heavyweight and defeated many world champions and legends of the time in each weight class. Considered a devastating puncher even at heavyweight, Langford was rated #2 by The Ring on their list of "100 greatest punchers of all time." One boxing historian described Langford as "...experienced as a heavyweight James Toney with the punching power of Mike Tyson."

"He was denied a shot at many World Championships due to the color bar and by the refusal of Jack Johnson, the first African-American World Heavyweight Champion, to fight him. Langford was the World Colored Heavyweight Champion, a title vacated by Johnson after he won the World Championship, a record five times. Many boxing aficionados consider Langford to be the greatest boxer not to win a world title. BoxRec ranks him as the 4th greatest heavyweight of all-time, the 9th greatest pound-for-pound fighter of all-time and the greatest Canadian boxer of all-time."
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to King Brown For Your Post:
Unread 03-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #17
Parkerman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Welcome aboard, great to have you with us!
Linn Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linn Matthews For Your Post:
Unread 06-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
William Woods
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

How fortunate you are. some of can only dream of owning such a gun.
William Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #19
William Woods
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

How fortunate you are. Some of can only dream of owning such a gun.
William Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #20
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

IT is great that an heirloom can keep a family connected, especially when it is a great Parker like this one, You my friend are indeed fortunate to be its caretaker, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote