Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Engraving & Engravers

Notices

Unread 10-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #21
Jeff Mayhew
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
While shooting shorter shells with less energy and shot weight, pretty much makes auto's unusable, who cares? We are break up guns types aren't we?
Well, uhh, not entirely....

Jeff Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Mayhew For Your Post:
Who Dat- what said dat?
Unread 10-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #22
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Who Dat- what said dat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
16 gauge guns are great guns..Many of us here really have an affliction for them. To say 12 gauge is the only way to go is short sighted.
Davey boy- I never said 12's are the ONLY way to go- although the olde laws of supply and demand (Adam Smith and his wealthy nations aside) work in favor of the 12 bores over all the other gauges, at least IMO. I just can't see spending the $ for a fine German or Austrian drilling with 16 gauge barrels ( and 2 & 9/16" or 65mm for your Metric lads) and have to buy the premium priced shorter shells), but then, I keep my "dinero' close to the vest- for those out there in PGCA-land and elsewhere that like the 16 bore- go for it, I won't stand in your way-- Now if I could get one of those Luftwaffe 12 gauge drillings in the case and all the extras- and a General officer's issue Walther as well- I'd be walkin' in "tall cotton" indeed!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #23
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mayhew View Post
Well, uhh, not entirely....

What is that funny looking thing anyway? A ray gun? Is it Martian medicine?

As for 16 bores? I love them. I'd like to have a sxs 16, but I don't. Have two pumps though. I think that they spit better pattens than a 20. Even if they don't, I think they do, which makes me a better shot with one. Shotgun shooting being a head trip just like golf.

I also think I'd play better golf it I chopped at the little white ball with the butt of a shotgun while holding the barrel. I'm a really lousy golfer and frankly I don't care. I'd much rather shoot trap.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Golf is the word FLOG- spelled backwards-
Unread 10-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #24
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Golf is the word FLOG- spelled backwards-

Quote:
What is that funny looking thing anyway? A ray gun? Is it Martian medicine?

As for 16 bores? I love them. I'd like to have a sxs 16, but I don't. Have two pumps though. I think that they spit better pattens than a 20. Even if they don't, I think they do, which makes me a better shot with one. Shotgun shooting being a head trip just like golf.

I also think I'd play better golf it I chopped at the little white ball with the butt of a shotgun while holding the barrel. I'm a really lousy golfer and frankly I don't care. I'd much rather shoot trap.
I like golf, and it doesn't like me all that well- but I like to drive the carts (like my John Deere Gator 4x6 in a Tuxedo--) drink cold beers, and keep track of the "Bingy-Bangy-Bungy" although when I'm in a foursome with Al Facciacio, Tony Lagussa and Johnny Brann Jr.- then it's rephrased to _ "Badda Bingy- Badda Bangy-Badda Boom-Bungy"- but as mark Twain once said "Golf- aka- pasture pool- is a good walk- spoiled" he might be right. And you'll lose less money shooting Trap than you will Craps- and that's a Fact-Jack!!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #25
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
... the thought of shooting a 12 with 2" and 2.5" shells intrigues me. You know, just for the fun of it.
For the past two seasons, the few times I've been out, I have used 2 1/2" 1oz Game Bore Pure Gold shells (6 or 7 shot). At first, they seemed way too small to do the job. They just didn't look right, after five decades of 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz or greater shot shells. They look normal to me now. My first shot out of a VH, I missed but the second barrel dropped that rooster dead at 40+ yards. Had an English (Boswell) under lever hammer gun out twice this year. Four shots, 3 roosters (one pushing 50 yards). Also had a Bland hammer gun out - 3 shots one rooster. The misses are not the fault of the guns nor the ammo.
So if you want to try the shorter shells, have fun. I did and will continue to do so.

Cheers,
Jack

Unread 10-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #26
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cronkhite View Post
For the past two seasons, the few times I've been out, I have used 2 1/2" 1oz Game Bore Pure Gold shells (6 or 7 shot). At first, they seemed way too small to do the job. They just didn't look right, after five decades of 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz or greater shot shells. They look normal to me now. My first shot out of a VH, I missed but the second barrel dropped that rooster dead at 40+ yards. Had an English (Boswell) under lever hammer gun out twice this year. Four shots, 3 roosters (one pushing 50 yards). Also had a Bland hammer gun out - 3 shots one rooster. The misses are not the fault of the guns nor the ammo.
So if you want to try the shorter shells, have fun. I did and will continue to do so.

Cheers,
Jack

Great post, Jack. Sounds like a ball! Also a wonderful photo. I'm shooting shorties in my GH soon as she's fixed.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Back on message!!
Unread 01-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #27
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,530 Times in 376 Posts

Default Back on message!!

Boys boys boys, weren't we discussing this good man's GHE 20 gauge butt stock carving and if there were others out there that were similar??

Now black guns with flash lights attached and 12 ga vs 16 ga???

Come on
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote