Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #11
Thomas Baumgardner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks to all for the response to the cut barrels. I had already paid for the shotgun prior to receiving the Research Letter which prompted me to ask for additional pictures. The shotgun has not been shipped yet, so I notified the seller that I was canceling the sale. I believed I would have noticed the cut barrels during my 3 day inspection. This shows how important the Research Letter and Serialization Book can be when looking at a Parker shotgun.
Thomas Baumgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thomas Baumgardner For Your Post:
Unread 07-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #12
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

Thomas, what was the seller asking for this ?
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #13
Thomas Baumgardner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Originally $5,495.00. I offered $5000.00 which they accepted. If anyone is interested, the gun was on Guns International, #101454397, The Bullet Hole, Overland Park, KS. 913-432-0050. I sent them email yesterday evening rejecting the sale because of the cut barrels. I plan to follow up with a phone call to them today.
Unread 07-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #14
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

Thomas, sorry but pricepoint was way too high because of Barrels. Get out fast at that price. Just my humble opinion
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #15
Thomas Baumgardner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jim,
I am getting out and My offer was made before I saw pictures of the barrels and, with the help from members like you, determined the barrels were cut. Some members may be interested in the gun with cut barrels and can make an informed offer if they want. Me, I have no interest in cut barrels.
Unread 07-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #16
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

Good for you Thomas. And good luck with your search
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2020, 06:07 PM   #17
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Baumgardner View Post
Jim,
I am getting out and My offer was made before I saw pictures of the barrels and, with the help from members like you, determined the barrels were cut. Some members may be interested in the gun with cut barrels and can make an informed offer if they want. Me, I have no interest in cut barrels.
I was in a similar situation last year , I was looking at a Parkers Pugs had it was a 8 gauge with 30" barrels which I thought was odd . I sent the serial number to a PGCA member and he checked it for me . Apparently at some point someone lopped 4" off the barrels which wasnt mentioned in the ad .

I wouldnt have had a problem with that if the price reflected that it was missing a couple inches of barrel haha .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #18
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thomas, I think you've dodged a bullet! I'm no expert, definitely defer to some of these quite knowledgeable gents, but those SURE LOOK suspicious. Wide gap between the barrels and that lump of solder on the left one at the end of the rib? End flat on the rib appears a bit crooked and funny? Doesn't match the "book". RUN is the best advice. Best of luck with your search.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #19
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,545 Times in 3,106 Posts

I can't help but get the feeling there is a divide between people who buy only those pieces that absolutely match the original configuration, and those people who recognize the usefulness of those pieces that no longer match their birth certificate. A lot of it boils down to how we intend to use, or not use the pieces we buy.
There is a more than inconsequential number of guns out there, that have been altered by the guy who wanted a Parker, but the one he found didn't quite fit the bill for the HUNTING he did.
Obviously, the man who wanted a Trap gun didn't go buy a skeet gun an up-choke it, but there were a lot of upland hunters, back when there were a lot of upland birds, who found a rooster gun he liked, which was a tad to long, or tight for the woods.
If you want something that meets the letter in every regard, by all means, seek and you might find. But don't disparage some lovely piece because it isn't up to your standards, because a lot of these red-headed-stepchildren can still bring home the bacon, or King of the forest. Forget the bacon part, unless, of coarse, you're also hunting feral pigs.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 07-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #20
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wise and true words Edger. I certainly have guns that will not match a letter, bought because I liked them and they fit my purpose. But, as someone pointed out, the money has to match the gun. I certainly don't want to pay collector's premium for a gun that's not.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote