Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

I would tend to agree-
Unread 02-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #31
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default I would tend to agree-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Francis, my old pre 1913 vent rib 32" Smith is the best handling 32" gun I've ever shot. I guess we must have the only two factory pre-13 32" vent rib Smiths out there. I had never seen or heard of another until I heard about yours. Smith did just a wonderful job on my barrels. Most Smith vent rib guns are such pigs with big ugly beavertails and thick trap stocks.
I am not a huge fan of the big beavertail forearms on side-by-side guns, to my mind you loose some of the dynamics of a grooved mount and swing- However, as I mainly shoot 12 bores, I don't have the problem of wrapping my hands around a splinter forearm and the smaller barrel configuration of a 28 gauge side-by--

I tried to get this older Smith lettered, but records don't exist- sn is 1074 and the Nitro 32" barrels are stamped with that plus 2E- Later patent ejectors, but not the banjo shaped escutcheon, the later rectangular- checkering about 18 lpi- pg capped and solid red pad- fits me like an Armani suit on a Goombah--three position safety, 3" chambers but not marked so- and NOT a LongRange model- no bushed firing pins, but frame has the older reinforcement rails at the bottom- good solid walnut with grain, ebony tip on splinter--

I love it- for Tower birds, Turkeys, later season mallard and geese (with the Classic loads from Cabela's) and although I have yet to shoot live box birds, I did use it for both rings of the "pigeon ring" clays shoot last summer at Da Yooper- I hit 90% of the clays, BUT-- the ribbon has to fall inside the ring to score, and that was my downfall-but not the gun's fault at all- it loves 1 oz. No 8 RST 2.5" loads-patterns 80% at 40 yards in 36" circle shot after shot, and puts the pattern at about 65% over my POA- and NO middle bead on the rib- I'll bring it to the April shoot, if plans hold up--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #32
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,912 Times in 4,774 Posts

Francis, I haven't shot any box birds with the 32" vent rib Smith, but I'm sure it would do very well. We may have the only two vent rib pre 1913 vent rib Smiths in the USA. Mine is a gem.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote