Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Been lurking and finally joined. 1904 VH 12ga straight grip
Unread 01-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
John J Sundelin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Been lurking and finally joined. 1904 VH 12ga straight grip

Hi all, great site.
I have been reading here on and off for a year or so trying to figure out what my best course of action on my 1904 VH 12ga with 30 inch extra full & full barrels, straight grip and #2 frame. I put some bad quality pictures in an album to give you an idea of the guns condition. I will take some better ones tomorrow.
It has been in my family for a long time but we weren't the original purchasers. I have never seen or heard of anyone firing it in my 48 years. The bores are nice and shiny with one tiny dent on bottom of one barrel. Barrels are brown colored except under forearm where there is original bluing. Bottom metal on forearm shows good case hardening color but is worn off on receiver.

The stock appears to be loaded with oil as it is very dark. Serial number is 124988 and matches on all parts including stamped into stock under trigger guard. Action is nice and tight when locked.

My plan, if possible, is to use it as an occasional trap and upland hunting gun. I am concerned about the oil soaked stock, it is solid without cracks but has a broken toe and plastic butt plate. I think it will have very nice figure if refinished.
I am ordering a research letter on it.
I have gently cleaned the decades of yellow oil stains off the metal parts with oil and nylon scrubby pads, brushes.

As for me, I live in Rhode Island, have a 47 acre farm and work a full time job. I was an aircraft machinist/welder while in the Air Force. I shoot tactical high power rifle matches along with fun rifle/pistol shoots at our local club. am currently building a savage based 6.5-06 long range rifle for use at 1000+ yards. Claim to fame; I removed a broken bolt from the front landing gear of one of the Thunderbird's F-16's. LOL

Questions:
Does this appear to be a special order gun due to barrel chokes, length and straight stock?

Is refinishing the stock viable if the gun has more than standard value?

Can dent be removed and keep barrels brown or do they need to be re-blued?

Again, Great Site, and seems like a great bunch of enthusiast's.
Thanks, John
John J Sundelin is offline   Reply With Quote