Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 02-07-2021, 09:32 AM   #21
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Ed a friend of mine trains his setters there on sharptails. There is a limited season
Unread 06-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #22
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

As far as not shooting Woodcock, we try to hit the flight in Michigan every year. When the timing works out you can often get 50 to 200 contacts in a day. Have had times in the right cover, that you seem to go from one point or flush into the next. Great for the Dogs and we shoot very few. Like maybe 10 total in a week for two of us.

The trip is for training a new Dog or tuning up a veteran and not shooting. Get into Grouse and things change. Even then we have passed thru the numbers game.
Unread 06-01-2021, 12:39 PM   #23
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

These Tennessee guys didn't by any chance have the last name "Clampett", did they??
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2021, 01:59 PM   #24
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hering View Post
I have heard of close working dogs referred to as "foot dogs", singles dogs" and close working dogs. This does seem to have an attachment to differentiate between close dogs and horseback shooting dogs although todays "shooting dog" classes look more like the All Age classes of 25 years or so ago.

JMHO
This thread just popped up again for me, and I read it with a smile. As Bruce points out, in the South and Mid-West (at least in Southern Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma and Kansas) you will see field trails often advertised and talked about as "foot trials" to distinguish them from horseback trials. Two distinctly different trials in terms of what is sought after by the participants. Range and speed, along with "style on point" (read as: high head and tail) were the winning combination among the horseback set, while the foot trialers wanted dogs that worked to the front and that pointed (with style), but were within a comfortable range for a person on foot. Except for the Shoot-to-Retrieve crowd, many foot trialers really wanted their dogs to range and run like horseback, All Age dogs.
It often seemed to me that they were horseback trial "wannabes."

There was also a term that was used for a dog that found lots of birds, but did not run out of sight or point with the rigid high tail. Those were called "meat dogs." It was frequently used in reference to any non-English Pointer/Setter. In the trial circles, those dogs were held is disdain, but on the side, guys would ask if they could hunt with their owners.

The eye of the beholder is sometimes fickle, but a dog that loves his business and produces birds for his master is a jewell, and if his looks meet his master's aesthetic sensibility, he's a winner in my book.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #25
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Deans "chair dogs" look like how I feel after getting my Covid shots!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 06-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #26
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
These Tennessee guys didn't by any chance have the last name "Clampett", did they??
Maybe so!

FYI if anyone can watch the YouTube channel on their internet TV you can search for "grouse hunting" or any other type of hunting I imagine, and find show after show of hunters in the grouse woods.
Unread 06-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #27
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Well said Garry!
Unread 06-16-2021, 01:53 AM   #28
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Reggie:

I did view a couple of Maine Grouse hunt videos on YouTube last night, filmed by a two-man team (no dogs).

Nice camera work, beautiful country, and a variety of game was depicted.

Right off, I noticed that the camera was not showing birds getting up -- that is, until the first shots were fired. And the guns were usually angled down and held steadily and aimed toward the brush like a rifle at the first shot, maybe raised or swung for the second. The occasional wing-shot was duly-noted.

Being out there, harvesting for the daily limit, cooking and enjoying the fare at the end of the day, and sharing the experience, was the object. The punctilio of how the shooting was accomplished was absent.

Not much point, for those who seek to acquire guns specifically built for shooting on the wing, and practice on moving clay targets with them in the off-season, to culminate in a test of gun and skill on flying birds. Different strokes.
Unread 06-16-2021, 08:37 AM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Russell, are you saying they were shooting grouse in any presentation, be it on the ground or in the air?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #30
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Dean:

Yes. As soon as the Grouse was seen, be it on the ground or in a tree, it was shot at. If missed and thereupon flying, it was shot at again.