Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Explain this to me...
Unread 01-21-2021, 08:27 AM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Default Explain this to me...

Why is it that we always get great dog work, open shots, and calm nerves at the flush of a big, hunted-since-October rooster pheasant in late January...after the pheasant season is over?! Iowa's quail season lasts to the end of the month, but the pheasant season ends on Jan. 10. There are a lot of shots at pointed roosters that could be made, but aren't. Ya just have to grin. The dogs like the fun, though.

Here's the sequence:

1. Alder pins a bird in the open in a finger of grass out in the open. I "know" it's a pheasant. I've seen its tracks in the snow.

2. The bird patiently waits until I tell Elaine to be ready and for me to stroll in before it erupts from cover.

3. The rooster gets up right on schedule and offers my best shot -- left to right (and close, so no need to calculate lead).

4. I say "BANG!" as I pull away...and wish Mr. Rooster a good day and a happy mating season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4855.jpg (514.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4856.jpeg (415.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4856 2.jpeg (391.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4858.jpeg (348.8 KB, 3 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,071 Times in 418 Posts

Sort of like setting up to goose hunt, after duck season closes and mallards, pintails, canvasbacks fall into your spread all day long, while the geese never show any interest...
Unread 01-21-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,789 Times in 651 Posts

Now that Duck season is over in Northern Indiana, I have been seeing lots of Mallards on my ditches. It never fails!
Jeff Kuss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Kuss For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2021, 08:40 PM   #4
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You guys need to go duck hunting with me. The ducks [I]never[I]come in at all. But, I am not a duck hunter -- just a guy who gets up early occasionally and sits in the marsh.

Do you also notice how much slower birds fly when you are not going to shoot them?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #5
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Garry,
Last year in our second grouse season in December I did a quick loop in my favorite 160 acre area. I forgot my shotgun I don't usually shoot in second season anyways so it was no big deal. I usually just look for tracks and try to learn about grouse habits. There was 6 inches of snow on the ground, we just had a light dusting the night before. Cash had 4 beautiful points, all the grouse held, all the shots were what I would consider almost easy and no shotgun I learned a lot about their habits that day, I followed their tracks before the flush and saw what they were eating etc. I might get one shot that easy every 10 times I go out hunting. I got 4 in one day, that was an amazing day. (a red letter day
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #6
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Garry,
Your wife could be a professional wildlife photographer, that series of photos is amazing.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2021, 09:24 PM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Norman View Post
Garry,
Last year in our second grouse season in December I did a quick loop in my favorite 160 acre area. I forgot my shotgun I don't usually shoot in second season anyways so it was no big deal. I usually just look for tracks and try to learn about grouse habits. There was 6 inches of snow on the ground, we just had a light dusting the night before. Cash had 4 beautiful points, all the grouse held, all the shots were what I would consider almost easy and no shotgun I learned a lot about their habits that day, I followed their tracks before the flush and saw what they were eating etc. I might get one shot that easy every 10 times I go out hunting. I got 4 in one day, that was an amazing day. (a red letter day
I can't remember the last time I went 4-for-4 on grouse -- that would be a good day for sure. I used to try to take a limit at least once on our annual trip to MN. Now, I'm satisfied with some good dog work, a decent number of flushes, and making a shot that I know I should.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2021, 09:44 PM   #8
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

That reminds me of my first day out with my little English Setter in early October 2005. Our Quail season here in Eastern Washington opens a while before Pheasants. I was trying to keep her in the woods along the Tucannon River for Quail, when she ran out into a stubble field with a herd of cows and locked up on point at a cow. I thought OMG what kind of dog have I gotten here? I took about ten steps out into the field and two roosters went up from practically right beneath the cow!!
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2021, 12:24 AM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
You guys need to go duck hunting with me. The ducks [I]never[I]come in at all. But, I am not a duck hunter -- just a guy who gets up early occasionally and sits in the marsh.

Do you also notice how much slower birds fly when you are not going to shoot them?
I used to do that , but I called it Sika deer hunting LOL’s !
Unread 01-22-2021, 12:45 AM   #10
Harry Gietler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Why is it that we always get great dog work, open shots, and calm nerves at the flush of a big, hunted-since-October rooster pheasant in late January...after the pheasant season is over?! Iowa's quail season lasts to the end of the month, but the pheasant season ends on Jan. 10. There are a lot of shots at pointed roosters that could be made, but aren't. Ya just have to grin. The dogs like the fun, though.

Here's the sequenc

1. Alder pins a bird in the open in a finger of grass out in the open. I "know" it's a pheasant. I've seen its tracks in the snow.

2. The bird patiently waits until I tell Elaine to be ready and for me to stroll in before it erupts from cover.

3. The rooster gets up right on schedule and offers my best shot -- left to right (and close, so no need to calculate lead).

4. I say "BANG!" as I pull away...and wish Mr. Rooster a good day and a happy mating season.
IF I Missed a shot like that, MY Dog would have BIT me in the Leg. Harry
Harry Gietler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Gietler For Your Post: