Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Another Season Ends
Unread 01-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,564 Times in 3,073 Posts

Default Another Season Ends

After missing 12 days to dog injuries and bad weather, we headed south about 2.5 hours for our last days of the season. The drive was worth it. The ice-crusted snow that we had at home was bad news for dog feet, not to mention the challenge it presented for a couple of aging humans.

With the dogs' injuries protected by either tape or boots, we spent the last 3 days of the season in great cover on farms that, if given half a chance, would revert to the prairie that once covered them. And we found birds. Alder, who had balked at wearing boots in the past, accepted them with enthusiasm, and she was hard going for the three days we hunted. At 8 years she is still going too fast and too far, but finds birds and gives her all. At the end of each day she was burned completely out, but happy to come inside after she had her dinner. Aspen's leg injury is finally healing, but he needed a tape job to protect the still tender skin. Although it was frustrating when we had to pause and reapply his wrap, he was excellent, and continued to show promise.

I used my 30" DHE 20 for the first two days, but switched to the little 28" CHE 20 on the last day. Both guns served me well when I did not become overanxious and rush my shots. I note from my shooting journal that towards the end of every season my reflexes are perhaps a bit too quick for a good gun mount. I think it's a sign of the excitement and anticipation I have for the flush. I always want to shoot better, but I never want to lose that excitement of anticipation.

We hunted some new ground and some old, familiar spots. We always enjoy learning new cover, especially when it shows something of its history in the remnants of old homesteads and fencerows.

The weather turned sour for the last two days of our season -- snow blown by 45 mph winds, so we will have to be satisfied with our memories of three great weather days in good cover with two good bird dogs and the blessing of two Parker shotguns. We still have the Iowa season to finish, but it's sad to see another Missouri season end. Certainly it was a year to remember for many things.

Key to photos:
1. All of the coveys we found still had very good numbers of birds. Although there are only two birds evident in the photo, this picture is from a large covey flush over a moving point my Aspen. I only shoot at one bird on flushes in the thick serecea lespedeza of this farm. It's easy to lose a downed bird in this cover.
2. One of the new covers we hunted had fencerows of some of the largest Osage Orange trees I have ever seen in Missouri. Their distinctive bark and thorny cover make them easy to recognize. Having dulled a chain saw on them, and been impaled on their thorns, I have great respect for the Osage. There are lots of Osage fence posts in Missouri, and they last longer than any of the treated posts commercially produced.
3. Alder pointed a single on the other side of a woven wire fence. It took me some time to find a place to climb over, with Elaine holding my gun while I balanced on the fence. The bird and Alder held through all of this. The shot I had was almost from my knees under the branches of the trees, and I almost always miss these "trick shots." I lucked out this time. Elaine passed Alder over the fence to me and then found a spot she could climb over. We searched and searched for the downed bird, and just when I'd decided to leave, Elaine noticed the bird quiver in the grass. Elaine retrieved the bird, but said she'd pass on my scratching her behind the ears, a reward the dogs seem to enjoy. Go figure.
4. The last bird of the season. Always a somber moment when you realize you will have to weather another year to have the privilege of chasing wild Bobs again. I always plan for next year, but never take it for granted.
5. We had our end of day break before the long drive home at this old homestead. The late winter sun always colors everything with its warmth, and we took our time to enjoy the setting, thinking about who lived here and what their lives were like. I'll bet they enjoyed hearing the summer call of bobwhites in their fields.
6. Alder always makes a production of her points. If you look closely you can see the orange duck tape that is holding her boots on. She seemed to like the boots, quite a change from our past efforts to boot her. The single here provided no shot. There were lots of points without shots in these old fence rows.
7. Shooting in a stand of sumac requires concentration, and I usually don't do well trying to shoot around the stems. You can see the bird if you follow down the gun barrel. The near-cylinder choke of the CHE did its job on this bird.
8. Aspen, with his leg taped, never missed a beat, and Elaine and I both noted how much progress he made this year. He has such a nice disposition, and is a pleasure to hunt over. I hope that within the next two years, he has a new bracemate to run with. I always think its a sign of optimism when an aging hunter thinks about getting a puppy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4755.jpeg (344.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4788.jpg (516.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4750.jpg (511.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4802.jpg (511.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8398.jpg (505.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4787.jpg (521.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4794.jpg (472.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4734.jpg (494.8 KB, 5 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2021, 07:53 PM   #2
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Garry,
Thanks so much for sharing all your hunting adventures on here. I really enjoy it all.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #3
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,352 Times in 373 Posts

Thanks for that great story Garry. What a way to finish a season. That’s beautiful country you have there.
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Enjoyed experiencing another hunting season with you via pen and camera! Excellent as always.
Unread 01-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks, Ed, Garth, and Reggie. The gun used on the last day Elaine and I refer to as "Reggie's gun." I shoot it as well as any gun I own.

Garth, do you get out for pheasants in IL...or Bobs in the southern part of your state?

Ed, I hope the last storm that came through us here missed you and Marueen. How's the gun search going?
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 05:22 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,181 Times in 12,364 Posts

Garry - Those wonderful pictures brought me back to my youth in eastern Massachusetts when we had that exact kind of cover with lots of ringnecks... now it's all grown up in shopping malls and plantations of town-houses. Thank you very much for the memories!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #7
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

garry,
thanks to your advice/encouragement I own a 28 gauge side by side that weighs 5.7 ounces. A friend of mine and I are taking both of my new guns to a pheasant farm tomorrow. I never want to lose that "anticipitation" either, I went over today and said good bye to a bunch of 8 week old brittanies that my breeder has. My breeder friend's whole attitude changes when he gets around "his pups". He is 74 years young when he is around those puppies. You always convey the things that mean so much to me in your stories and e mails. You could write in any outdoor magazine especially with a photographer like Elaine to record all your hunting experiences Keep up the good stories and pictures in here.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 06:01 PM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Garry - Those wonderful pictures brought me back to my youth in eastern Massachusetts when we had that exact kind of cover with lots of ringnecks... now it's all grown up in shopping malls and plantations of town-houses. Thank you very much for the memories!
Dean, I don't go back to my home state of Virginia (where I grew up hunting on the coastal peninsula near Williamsburg) because all my old haunts are now town houses or theme parts -- much like what you describe. But, you still have your grouse camp and your Grace to share it with. May our coverts and birds last through our lifetimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Norman View Post
garry,
thanks to your advice/encouragement I own a 28 gauge side by side that weighs 5.7 ounces. A friend of mine and I are taking both of my new guns to a pheasant farm tomorrow. I never want to lose that "anticipitation" either, I went over today and said good bye to a bunch of 8 week old brittanies that my breeder has. My breeder friend's whole attitude changes when he gets around "his pups". He is 74 years young when he is around those puppies. You always convey the things that mean so much to me in your stories and e mails. You could write in any outdoor magazine especially with a photographer like Elaine to record all your hunting experiences Keep up the good stories and pictures in here.
Ed, Elaine sends her thanks for your kind comments about her pictures. I'm blessed to have her as my hunting companion and have been for over 40 years.

BTW, don't we all hope we have the same enthusiasm as your friend Hap when we are around puppies...no matter our age.

(PS Let me know the details of your new 28.)
Unread 01-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,181 Times in 12,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Dean, I don't go back to my home state of Virginia (where I grew up hunting on the coastal peninsula near Williamsburg) because all my old haunts are now town houses or theme parts -- much like what you describe. But, you still have your grouse camp and your Grace to share it with. May our coverts and birds last through our lifetimes.

Indeed Garry, and beyond too for my grandkids and hopefully for theirs as well.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: