Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 02-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #21
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,068 Times in 281 Posts

You are right about the wood. Claro is pretty, but soft and not very strong.
Gerry Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

The straight grained black walnut of the Vs and Trojans is probably the toughest and least likely to break. I have not broken a stock yet, but the older I get, the more I stumble. So far I have managed to roll to my left shoulder and hip and come up shootin'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vhe-trujan lpi.jpg (163.7 KB, 1 views)
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fred Preston For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
Tommy Neely
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Gerry,
The gentleman that repaired my Repo Stock (Broken in Half at the PG) Is:
A. Richard Hammond
c/o A. R. Hammond & Co.
871 Chamberlain Road
Newark Valley, NY 13811

Phone No. 607-642-3348

I called this number today and did receive a recording to leave a message so I trust he's still in business. Hope all works out well if you decide to use his services.
Tommy Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
Tony Guccioni
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sad news for me and interesting ( perhaps ) for others.

I recently bought my first Parker Repro - a 12 Ga. DHE 2 barrel set, N.I.B, unmolested, unmarked and unfired. I chose this particular gun mostly due to the outstanding figuring in the buttstock.

I'm 'only here once', so I begun my quest for a Repro always knowing that I would be using whichever gun I purchased for Sporting Clays.

So, my very first outing with my new found beauty was at a 100 Target event last week. Loved shooting this gun which showed in my score ! Did have 1x fail to fire second barrel ( fairly sure my problem with the trigger ) and a double discharge !!
Was excited at the prospect of more shooting fun today, however, when cleaning the gun in preparation I found a hairline crack joining the top tang to the adjacent checkering. Boo Bloody Hoo.
Oh well, no more shooting with this ( fragile ??) little lovely till my stockmaker provides an opinion on possible solutions.
Tony Guccioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Tommy, I'm going to keep that information, Dave Wolf has done the repair and is sending it back to me, should be here tomorrow. He is so quick it is scary. I'm going to shoot it for a couple weeks and if it holds up I'll send it back to him to be finished. He told me it would be invisible. He said, like everyone else has said, if the wood was better strength wise it would not be a problem. But, if it was of better strength it wouldn't have broken to begin with. I'll let everyone know how this turns out and post some pictures.
Unread 02-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,560 Posts

Tony - Sorry about the stock - bummer.
As far as the double discharge - I would suggest you (or an experienced Parker 'smith) open it up and give it a good cleaning. If the gun has sat unmolested since it was built, the lubes in it have probably congealed and are now gluey gunk. Many of the Japanese-sourced guns (101, SKB, etc) exhibit the same issue. I would guess that the two gun manufacturing facilities in Japan used the same lube.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Tony Guccioni
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Tony - Sorry about the stock - bummer.
As far as the double discharge - I would suggest you (or an experienced Parker 'smith) open it up and give it a good cleaning. If the gun has sat unmolested since it was built, the lubes in it have probably congealed and are now gluey gunk. Many of the Japanese-sourced guns (101, SKB, etc) exhibit the same issue. I would guess that the two gun manufacturing facilities in Japan used the same lube.
When I say I bought this gun unmarked /unmolested, that was true but quite temporary.
I've learned a lot reading these pages, so arranged for the gun to 'enjoy' a stopover with Briley for a diss-assemble and clean.
On receipt of gun I was staggered to find whoever worked on the gun at Briley severely marred the top screw under the opening switch and both trigger plate screws.
Took awhile to recover from the shock of paying somebody to damage my new gun but the subsequent FTF/Doubling and cracking is approaching 'too much'.
Tony Guccioni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Guccioni For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #28
Reproman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Guccioni View Post
On receipt of gun I was staggered to find whoever worked on the gun at Briley severely marred the top screw under the opening switch and both trigger plate screws. Took awhile to recover from the shock of paying somebody to damage my new gun but the subsequent FTF/Doubling and cracking is approaching 'too much'.

I'm speechless!
Marvin Kells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #29
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Tony, Briley is very good about making right their mistakes. Call them and have them correct the screws. They have the means to take care of all of it. Also, be sure to check the barrel selector if it is a single trigger gun. Make sure it is all the way forward or all the way to the rear. I've heard this can cause a double discharge. I've owned two single trigger guns that doubled and after the repair they had a "heavy trigger" pull. Make sure someone that knows Parkers works on it. Bachelder in Michigan would be a good choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerry Addison For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #30
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

I had a doubling problem with my 28 gauge Repro and I brought it to Abe Chaber here in CT. As it turned out the two counter weights were very poorly finished on the surfaces adjacent to each other. Abe Polished them to a high finish and the problem went away. I am not a big fan of single trigger guns but it is what it is....