Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-03-2024, 11:42 PM   #11
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,181 Times in 271 Posts

I didn't add anything to my gun rack except a real nice Baker that I will give to my son this Sunday as a late Christmas present. He lives in Batavia and will be overwhelmed.

I did turn loose a nice Fox to a good friend who really enjoys it.

Did some wonderful socializing at Ernie's and Mike's in PA.

A good year.
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Jolliff For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2024, 07:04 AM   #12
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,239 Posts

2023 was a good year for me. Acquired a Parker SBT that became my handicap gun and a DHE that took over doubles duty. Did well at the Georgia State trap shoot and won about everything I could at the Alabama state shoot. Had my best year overall at the Grand American and picked up a punch to the 25 yard line. Finished the target year with my highest blended average ever and made the Georgia State trap team for the fourth year in a row. Finally, ended up with a AA25A classification (all with my Parkers)

For 2024, my goal is to attend a number of state shoots and the Grand in an effort to make a run at the ATA All American Team (with my Parkers). We’ll see.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2024, 07:08 AM   #13
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

2023 was a great year for me, and for my family. I added one gun to the stable, not a Parker, but bought from a member here. Had a good crop year on the farm, with incomes meeting all the obligations needed. Planning the acreages for 2024 crops now. Youngest son (47) still farms with me ....... his oldest son (21), too. He just got married in November and we're happy to have her in the family, now.

Started a couple gunstock refinishing projects around Christmas. I'm teaching myself to do sanded-in finishing ala Phil Pilkington style. It's a very pleasing process, and fun to watch as wood surfaces are transformed. My 32" Parker DHE 16/20 that I purchased here from Mr. Harris was the inspiration for my wanting to learn the process, with it's beautiful satiny finish.

Have decided to move a few guns, that are never used, in 2024. And, hope to make a day trip to Mid-South Guns in Wagram, NC before corn planting time rolls around.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2024, 08:36 AM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
2023 was a good year for me. Acquired a Parker SBT that became my handicap gun and a DHE that took over doubles duty. Did well at the Georgia State trap shoot and won about everything I could at the Alabama state shoot. Had my best year overall at the Grand American and picked up a punch to the 25 yard line. Finished the target year with my highest blended average ever and made the Georgia State trap team for the fourth year in a row. Finally, ended up with a AA25A classification (all with my Parkers)

For 2024, my goal is to attend a number of state shoots and the Grand in an effort to make a run at the ATA All American Team (with my Parkers). We’ll see.
Looking forward to you replacing that 25 with a 27 congratulations !
Unread 01-04-2024, 04:34 PM   #15
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

My most memorable event last year was taking my 2 grandsons to the club skeet field to warm up for their very first live bird hunt at Markover in Danielson, Ct along with good friend Tom Jay. The lads got all the birds we hunted up with their very first shot! God, to be young again.
The second pleasurable moment for me last year was finding a near mint Iver Johnson 410 ga sxs that has been a pure joy to shoot, And i've read that Iver Johnson only made 500 of these.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 01-05-2024, 07:55 AM   #16
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

Allen, I'd really like to see pics of that IJ .410. I loves me some fo-tens.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2024, 08:45 AM   #17
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,338 Times in 364 Posts

2023 was a great year!! Mostly importantly my youngest daughter delivered a beautiful granddaughter as I'd waited 25 years between grandchildren.
Added three rifles: 1. Stevens 44 1/2 25-21 2. Remington 722 257 Roberts 3. Winchester 1885 40-60.
Made the Southern and shot multiple shooting facilities across the west!
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Davis For Your Post:
Unread 01-05-2024, 10:19 PM   #18
bob lyons
PGCA Member

Member Info

The good and bad parts of 23. On the bad side had a series of medical issues that plagued me form April till beginning of September. It’s hard getting old. But now all is good.
On the good side was able to get a single barrel trap gun. Had some ejector issues but a trip to Dan Cullity and sons and a through cleaning and it’s working fine. I’m not much of a trap shooter but was able to get a few 23’s with only about 10 rounds of trap under my belt. Thanks Bobby!
Also picked up a 28 gauge 2 barrel set, and a very cool Parker Damascus 10 gauge G grade. On the none Parker side a nice Ithaca live pigeon gun with 32” Damascus barrels. Now to get rid of a few, which seems to be very hard to do.
Ultimately the very best is we are expecting a new grandchild this summer. This will. Ring the total number of grandchildren to 9. We are blessed.
bob lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob lyons For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2024, 09:27 AM   #19
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,598 Times in 3,089 Posts

Any year I make it through intact is a good year!

Among my many blessings was getting to watch our pup, Rill, point her first wild birds -- grouse, woodcock, pheasant and quail. What a gift to hunt behind dogs you and your wife developed yourselves in "home" covers.

I also was able to hunt with a fellow member, Pat Sheerin, for the first time. An avid deer hunter, Pat is a courteous gentleman who carries one of the nicest Trojan 20 gauges I've seen. Attending the annual meeting was a treat, as was getting to meet and speak with Allan for the first, and last, time. I also got to meet Dean Romig's Grace. What a beautiful dog (and I wish her well).

On the collecting front, I picked up several: an all original DH Damascus 20 (which I blooded earlier this week), a beautiful CH Damascus 16 (not too many of these made), a 30 inch straight/splinter DHE 16 (need I say, Harry G., it has two triggers) that matches my prize 1918 wild Bob DHE 20 (this gun, from the same engraving period, even has the same "medium full comb" that my 20 has!), a super condition VH 26 inch 16 with very strong (benchmark) case colors. And I finally scratched my .410 itch (thanks, Stan Hillis, for infecting me!) with a ball grip VH, one of the earliest made (and without the stepped barrels). I have lots to scheme about and look forward to as I conjure up the best ways to blood each of these guns.

I'll have some challenges to face in the coming year, as will be the case with many, but I'm looking forward to seeing folks at the Pheasant Fest and Southern (and annual meeting!) this coming year.

Craig, thanks for posing the thread's question to include things beyond guns acquired. There is so much more to our lives because of our guns.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2024, 10:22 AM   #20
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,242 Times in 445 Posts

2023 was a good year for us. My first grandson born in Oct., Garrett Reed is a wonderful blessing. My wife is facing some medical challenges but all manageable.
I managed to pick up a CH grade Parker, with Bernard barrels, sold a DH and several other SxSs. A 20ga PHE is on it's way to me now.
Started my sons young lab on her first birds with her showing much promise, retrieving the second bird downed to hand.