Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Parker Butt Stocking Tutorial
Unread 07-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,419 Times in 4,595 Posts

Default Parker Butt Stocking Tutorial

I have been working on 11 restocks for the past few months in a sort of assembly line fashion while working in other small stuff in-between.

One in particular I documented each of the critical steps of making the stock. I figured I would share them here in case anyone has wondered what all goes into it.

The gun is a 20g. VH. It is a full restoration.

I did the required repair work to the original stock in order to get a suitable pattern and I duplicated the original stock out of a piece of American Walnut that had some nice curl in the butt area. Nicer than the original piece, but still very suiting for a VH grade.

1.jpg

The Frame is hand fitted into the inletting for good contact along the tang, but primarily on the recoil surface.

2.jpg

3.jpg

I then inlet the trigger plate into the bottom of the stock with the frame clamped firmly in place.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Then the holes for the tang screws can be drilled and the screws installed. The front tang screw requires the insertion of a threaded bushing first.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Then I can attach the top lever and it's linkage and inlet for clearance of all of those moving parts. Clearance cuts also have to be made for the hammers.

9.jpg

10.jpg

I then install the grip cap. It is held on by one wood screw and located by two steel pins. The new screw then gets it's slot timed.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

I then install a new buttplate on the stock. It is carefully insetted for total contact around the whole surface. Just as carefully as the action is fitted. The last 3 digits of the serial number are written on both the butt and the plate. Like the factory did. The new screws are then timed and dressed down flush.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

The trigger guard can then be fitted. The tang is insetted into the stock. The serial number and grade are stamped into the wood and a new screw is installed.

17.jpg

18.jpg

To finish up the work inside the head of the stock. The safety jacket is installed. It is very important that it is tight in the wood and that the depth is correct. Then a hole is drilled for the reset rod using a custom made jig. Function can then be tested and adjustments made if needed. The button slide should fully reset when the top lever is opened.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

The finial profile of the stock and the details of the grip, cheeks and comb flute can be shaped using rasps and files.

22.jpg

Once the toe line is set, the monogram shield can be installed and dressed off.

23.jpg

Then everything is sanded out to 320 grit. A double layer of tape on all of the metal surfaces ensures that the wood is taken down to just the right level of being just proud of the metal. Everything is now ready for sealer and finish coats.

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

I hope this information has been useful to some.
Alan Nixon, Alfred Greeson, allen newell, Austin Smith, Bill Holcombe, Bill Jacobs, Bill Jolliff, Bill Zachow, Bob Jurewicz, Bob Kimble, Bob Roberts, Brett Hoop, Brian Arthur, Bruce P Bruner, Bryan Perry, Buddy Harrison, Buddy Marson, Carvel Whaley, Chris Robenalt, Christian Gish, dan myshin, Daniel Carter, Daniel G Rainey, Daryl Corona, Dave Noreen, Dave Tatman, David Holes, David Penland, Donald F. Mills, edgarspencer, Eric Estes, Eric Johanen, Frank Childrey, Frank Cronin, Garry L Gordon, Garth Gustafson, Gary Bodrato, Gary Laudermilch, George Davis, Greg Baehman, Hal Sheets, Harry Collins, Henry McRoberts, hugh rather, Jack Kuzepski, Jacob Duke, James J. Roberts, James L. Martin, Jeff Christie, Jerry Harlow, Jim Kremmel, jimlott, Joe Dreisch, John Dallas, John Davis, John Knobelsdorf II, john pulis, John Stone, Karl Ferguson, keavin nelson, Keith Doty, Ken Snyder, Kenneth V Jones, Kent Nickerson, Kirk Potter, Larry Frey, Larry Stauch, Linn Matthews, Lloyd Bernstein, Louis Caissie, Mark Garrett, Mark Ray, Marty Kohler, Michael Earls, Michael Meeks, Mike Koneski, Mike McKinney, Mills Morrison, Paul D Narlesky, Paul Ehlers, Ralph English, randall rosenthal, Robert Rambler, Russ Jackson, Russell E. Cleary, Sara LeFever, Scot Cardillo, scott kittredge, Stan Hillis, Stephen Hodges, Steve Hagen, Steve Huffman, todd allen, Tom Hawkins, Tom Pellegrini, tom roberts, Wayne Owens, Wes Stueber, William Giaconia, William Stewart, William Woods
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 07-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,604 Times in 1,842 Posts

Thanks Brian, very informative and interesting. BTW I would like to see that wood after the finish was applied. Looks to me like it would qualify for an even higher graded Parker. Please post pics when done.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 07-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
Allen Gill
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for posting. That is really incredible workmanship. It is very difficult to find people with such talent. I hope you continue posting the rest of the restoration.
Allen Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Allen Gill For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #4
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

Brian great tutorial! Thanks for your efforts. Craig
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,235 Times in 441 Posts

Brian, appreciate you sharing this, very insightful of the masterful craftsmanship! Curious, was the jig for drilling the safety pin made from a Parker frame cut off?
Unread 07-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yes. It is a cut off frame section.
Restoration VH
Unread 07-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Restoration VH

Brian your work amazes me and the fact you put together a slide show with presentation of work in progress I'm even more amazed. Looking forward to more pics and progress. Thx for your efforts
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidboyles For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #8
Frank Childrey
PGCA Member

Member Info

That is very impressive work. I would like to see how the shield is installed along the stock's toe line. Also, I would also like to see the checking and finishing procedures . . . and, of course, the finished product. Such obvious skill certainly has my attention.
Frank Childrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Wow! This was as informative a post as I have seen on the forum. Thanks, Brian, for taking the time to document and share the photos -- and your expertise with us. I learned much from this posting.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The same stock with one sealer coat on it to better show figure.

893A882C-1D20-402A-97D9-79ACCD897485.jpg