Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Bob Allen.....
Unread 02-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,175 Posts

Default Bob Allen.....

Not really a hunting related thread, but it's at least about hunting clothes.

Back when I was doing my early waterfowling in Southern Illinois, anybody that had any money used the Bob Allen gear and clothing. You all remember the stuff, brown camo pattern designed for Ducks Unlimited by Maynard Reese. They stopped making it I believe in the late 80's.

I'd kind of forgotten about it till recently when I was clearing out my old bedroom at the folks place. Digging through the closet I found my guncase and gunners bag I'd always been so proud of. I didn't have the money back then to buy the stuff as it was pretty expensive. The bag was a gift from a guy I guided goose hunting and the case a miracle find for $5 at a small gunshop.

I remembered how I'd always wanted one of the jackets but just never could afford one. Finding that bag and guncase brought all that back so I started surfing eBay and other internet sites looking. Well last week one popped up for auction in a large enough size to fit my overlarge frame. I made a ridiculously large bid and thankfully didn't have to pay anything like that for it.

Silly I know, but after finding the bag and case I really remembered how much I wanted one as a kid. Well I've finally got it much after the fact!

The case just fits one of my big long 32 inch humpback guns and I've been carrying the bag for goose hunting. I never was big on camo but this pattern really has some class.

I know this gear is still out there stuck away in closets. Anybody else remember this stuff fondly or still have any they're using?

Regards,
Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

glad you have found your long awaited duck hunting clothes...glad you got some that fit....some times we need to did through our old stuff to remember what we have and have not....i would like to have me one of those old red and black checkered deer hunting hats with ear muffs....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie,

Check out this site, they've got just the hat you're looking for:

http://www.stormykromer.com/mens/cap...rmy-kromer-cap

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here's another if you're really into stylin in the woods!

http://www.filson.com/products/macki...taProduct=1011
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

MH, Is this the camo pattern you mentioned? Found it at the bottom of the hat pile; an old Duxbak Jonsey. Kind'a looks like SOS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0358.JPG (2).jpg (68.5 KB, 1 views)
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Preston For Your Post:
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

boy you fellas have fixed me up.. those hats look like 1930 40s 50 s 60s...gonna have to get me one...want i be in style....i wore wanna those hats hanging on that parker for many years and also wore one in the brown duck color...i know who to ask now when i need a hat...destrey you still got that old hat of yours..... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Fred,

That's close but the Bob Allen pattern actually has the outlines of ducks mixed in with the regular camo splotches. What size is that one you show?

Charlie,

Of course! I'd never let my old hat get away from me. I only wear it for duck hunting now, and only on dry days. It's getting to the point I'm worried it's going to just fall apart.

The Filson hat is a nice one but real heavy, I've actually tried one on. The Kromer is a thinner wool so a little more all weather. I've got one of the Kromers in the marsh green color, just wore it to work today.

Destry
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

7&3/4 Fits ok, a little snug.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

7 3/4 and it's a little snug?! You must have a head about like mine. That's my size, sometimes up to 7 7/8. My Kromer is 7 3/4 and fits pretty well.

If you wanna sell that Jones hat.....

Destry
Unread 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Parkerman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Destry
Your story re Bob Allen hit home today. After not shooting for about 10 years or so a friend and I went quail hunting just north of Atlanta. Prior to the shoot I scrambled around trying find my gear that was scattered all around the house.
I found my old pair of Bob Allen field pants on a hanger in the back of the closet. They still fit and made an addition to my day
They didn't help my shooting however. I need to get out more.
Regards
Linn Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote