Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-22-2020, 01:43 AM   #11
Pittypatdugan
PGCA Member

Member Info

Michael

You can always get
Hookers ,blow and now
Legal marijuana, but
16 gauge nice Parkers
Are not available much
Pat Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2020, 05:00 AM   #12
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
I have never found the added value in the second set of barrels and I have several two barrel sets The GHE 16 has never had the trap barrels on it and I've owned it for close to 15 years.
I agree. At one time it might have made sense to have a 4 barrel skeet gun so you could shoot all the gauges in competition but now they use one set of barrels and tubes.

As far as hunting goes you might be able to make a case for two sets of barrels with different lengths and different chokes -- one for waterfowl and one for upland birds. But now that we have screw in chokes that has changed.

If you reload you can load a 12 gauge down to what would normally be a 20 gauge load and it will probably pattern better than what the 20 gauge barrels would have.

There is so much overlap in the gauges that you can effectively achieve 3 gauges in one. And if you want to go beyond that ... say from 12 down to 28 or 410 the frame is way too big, so multiple barrels really don't serve much purpose beyond the first one stated: one barrel for waterfowl and one for the uplands.

But they do look nice in a leather case!
Unread 01-22-2020, 07:01 AM   #13
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,909 Times in 534 Posts

I like a 2 barrel set....One set up for hard to kill wild roosters and one set up for the King in the thick grouse woods.... One good gun will do it all !!!! (:- I only have one Parker brothers gun that fills this nich….1922 O frame VH-16 26" and 32" weight is 6-3 and 6-10 The letter does not mention be two barrel set but we believe it was built together or added soon after. The barrels and for-ends are numbered 1 and 2 I have grouse hunted this gun the most but do enjoy them M/F long tubes too. My other go to gun is my CSMC XE-16 with 28" and 29" tubes, gunned many birds with this set. SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2020, 07:07 AM   #14
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,387 Times in 1,644 Posts

I own one two barrel set, a 20ga. 26/28. The 26 inch is choked skeet/IC it is perfect for quail woodcock and grouse. The 28 inch barrels are m/im which I use for doves and pheasants. This is a hunting gun and the gun I travel with, it has been used extensively for 20 years and I find the two barrels very practical because the fit feel and triggers are the same over a wide range of bird hunting.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #15
Spin Drift
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

My turn of the century DH 12 ga has 26" Cyl/Skeet and 30" M/F. Two forends marked 1 and 2 and is listed in the ID book as a two barrel set. Both Titanic.
Michael Moffa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Moffa For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #16
Rick Roemer
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have a two barrel set 0 frame DH from 1896. One set is 20 the other is 16. Chokes are IC/mod on the 20 and IM /full on the 16. Both Damascus. Both 6 lbs total. Round grip. Unrestored and lettered. I also have a 0 frame set of 28 gauge barrels in steel that mount up fine. The various combinations are very appealing to me.

George Bird Evans
Rick Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick Roemer For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #17
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,565 Times in 3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roemer View Post
I have a two barrel set 0 frame DH from 1896. One set is 20 the other is 16. Chokes are IC/mod on the 20 and IM /full on the 16. Both Damascus. Both 6 lbs total. Round grip. Unrestored and lettered. I also have a 0 frame set of 28 gauge barrels in steel that mount up fine. The various combinations are very appealing to me.
Rick, That DH and those barrels are an upland hunter's dream...and to have the 1896 engraving makes it even sweeter...not to mention the round knob grip. You are a lucky man!
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote