Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

John,

I was recently told that the TIG process was discontinued and the only liners they are doing now will reduce the gauge size; similar to what others have been doing for years. I have not checked with them directly but the person that told me is very knowledgeable about such things.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #32
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Purnell View Post
Sorry to tell you, John, but there are 12 inches in a foot, but 16 ounces in a pound. Your difference is 7.8 ounces.

Dave
Thanks Dave!! That's OK - I also messed up the MUZZLE and BREECH, and had to go in and correct that as well..??!! I should learn to type less - or proof read longer

Best to you - and thanks again!

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #33
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

John,

Leave the barrels as they are. Chances are that was how they came from the factory. They are plenty safe for everything except using them to strike rocks!

Just shoot it or sell it. There is nothing wrong with the gun except that it is a lightweight.

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #34
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

So John do you still own the 20ga ?
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Huffman For Your Post:
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #35
Joe Wood
PGCA Member

Member Info

I suggest you keep it as is and disclose the thin walls to any potential buyer (which you already have). That is one beautiful gun! My goodness, how many rounds has it digested in its long life that were probably a heck of a lot hotter than what you've been feeding it.

Remember, WW Greener once had one of his barrels thinned to .010 near the muzzle and then shot proof loads through it with no ill effect. Then he used a pen knife to slit the tubes to show bystanders.
Joe Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Wood For Your Post:
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #36
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Yes, I still own her. I would NEVER sell something to someone without sharing all I knew. I am so thankful that the prospective buyer asked that I take the barrel dimensions and measurements. I should have done that when I first got her, but I didn't. Its simply a righteous little DH.

So, thanks guys.... I have an aversion to sleeving - especially is it drops her down a bore size. So, I will probably update that "for sale" thread given what I found out - and repost it at a lower price, or - more realistically - just keep her in my safe and shoot it on special occassions with my RST low pressure loads or removible gauge tubes?

My thanks again... Now you know why this thread has been of incredible interest to me....

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #37
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

So what some are kinda saying is some Parkers with Damascus barrels let the factory with 019 thickness we say is unsafe they say was ? Damascus gota Love it. NEVER MIND THIS I WENT BACK AND DID JOHNS MATH !
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #38
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,873 Times in 4,756 Posts

Buy a Manson gauge for a hundred bucks and measure the thing to death, John. Advertise it with the measurements you come up with and let them measure it after they send you the check. Have I told you about my friend who bought an absolutley screaming AAHE that was advertised at auction as "under safe wall dimensions" in the auction description? He bought it for about $10,000. It turned out to be an Abercrombie gun that had been ordered to weigh 6 1/2 pounds and was as right as rain. Today it is a $??? gun because of its rarity, originality, and high condition.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
barrel wall thickness
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #39
jay shachter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default barrel wall thickness

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. And Dean, I did mean from the breech, not the muzzle. It was Sherman Bell's article, likely in the DGJ. I will do a search as it is something I need for my customers and friends alike. By the way, most are one and the same.
jay shachter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jay shachter For Your Post:
barrel wall thickness gauge
Unread 08-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #40
jay shachter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default barrel wall thickness gauge

Bill M.

Tell me about the Manson gauge, and where can I see one? The problem I had with less expensive gauges was the ability to use them in the field and measure all the way rib to rib. I would like to see if this one would be useful outside the shop.

The reason I like the Hosford gauge compared to the big desk top gauge I had like Galazan sells, or the $150 gauge that I bought from Brownells, is that it is both portable and accurate. 4 different people could use a big desk top gauge we have all seen somewhere, and depending if they tilt the barrel or not, would likely come up with meaningful differences in measurement. Likewise, the only way I could get the little Brownells gauge to be consistent and usable was to hang it stationary from the ceiling and bring the barrels up from below. It was very touchy and difficult to get a good reading.

The Hosford gauge is simple and repeatable, and very portable. With 5 minutes of instruction and practice, 10 out of 10 would get the same measurement within a thou or so.

I hope the Manton is different, as I would like to have another tool!

Thanks again,

The Brow
jay shachter is offline   Reply With Quote