Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

I apologize- I miss-spoke in my query/post.
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
Grantham Forester
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default I apologize- I miss-spoke in my query/post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ouellette View Post
Gee that's nice!

John Dunkle is the only decision authority for if a PGCA member may or may not sell their handgun on these forums.

John owns and manages a profitable Luger forum along with another on P-38's and so on. Yes, John may know something about handguns but he darn sure know more about managing successful web-forums!
First off, I am but only a Forum member here, so even if Mr. Dunkle allowed the sale of such handguns, I do not qualify to do so here. The raison d'etre for my query was- there are many "counterfeits" of the scarce Mauser C96 pistols made for Persia and also Turkey, in the pre-WW1 era- I have reason to believe mine is the real deal, as it came back to the States in 1918 in a diplomatic courier's pouch from Ankara- given to my relative, who later gave it to me.

If Mr. Dunkle's expertise in handguns also extends to the WW11 era, I have a Krieghoff mfg. Luftwaffe Luger my late uncle brought back from Europe, and again, would possibly like to authenticate that pistol as well.

The Mauser C96 is in 7.62x25mm aka .30 Mauser Caliber, the Luger is in std. 9mm Parabellum caliber.

I hope this may clear up any possibly room for error.
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Grantham,

Perhaps you should send John a PM. I am sure that he would provide web forums that could assist you in verifying your pistols. The collectors on those sites should mirror those in the PGCA for their level of expertise.

If you are serious about Parkers please join the PGCA!

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,158 Times in 823 Posts

Hi Grantham.!

Many thanks for your inquiry - and let's see if I can't give you a bit of background and figure out how to assist you best, OK?

I run several firearm collector sites - the Lugerforum ((http://lugerforum.com) and the P38 & PPK Collectors Forum (http://p38forum.com) - in those two sites, I have about 20,000 or so active collectors and have run them for over a decade. As well, I've also been a Senior Trader/Asst. Manager in one of the single largest firearms retailer on the East Coast - again, for about 10 years? But, I've cut my hours back there given my other work loads recently...

Anyway - are you looking to authenticate your Persian contract C96, or rather - are you looking to estimate its value? I will tell you that it should fall into a specific serial number range, and details like the fine-line grips and dual ringed hammer and other small parts need to be examined closely - as well that the sun/lion emblem should appear "correctly" (I'd get into what the spurious engravings look like - but, rather not)..

As for your Krieghoff Luger.. Same question about are you looking to authenticate or recieve a valuation. In that regard, I actually had (gone now) one of the most expansive HK Luger Collections in the USA, aside from Randall Gibson and Ralph Shattuck (both of who have passed and were equally wonderful friends) - and I've personally authenticated dozens of Krieghoff Lugers - from G dates through to Post-War bring-backs - over the last 20-30 years.

Feel free to Private Message me, and let me know where you are located and what you are thinking with both/either of these fine handguns.

My Best,

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
No Plans ever to sell these pistols
Unread 07-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #14
Grantham Forester
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default No Plans ever to sell these pistols

But many thanks for your kind and informative reply. In recent issues of The Shotgun News, Roger Kokalis has covered the many variants since 1908 when the Luger pistol was patented- with great close photographs as well. In his writing, he also mentions your late friend Mr. Shattuck and his vast knowledge of the Lugers.

I think it is indeed a good omen that you and the other moderators on the PGCA Forum allow reasonable latitude, but the main focus is the fine double guns made by Parker.