Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 05-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
The checkering is not done by the machine. Checkering with an MMC type tool is quite similar to using conventional tools but faster and able to cut short lines easier without runovers. It uses a spinning carbide wheel to cut the lines instead of the push method used by unpowered tools. ....Cutting checkering with a carbide wheel is still hand checkering, only with the aid of a power tool and requires practice to build skill levels. ...The wheel method just cuts the time to complete the initial pass and helps to prevent runovers in tight corners. Carbide wheel or hand tools, it is still hand checkering and requires skill to do competently.
Errr... ahhh, right. NO machine involved. At least one that makes any part of the job easier. I'm convinced.

And maybe 100 years from now, some collector will point to a pattern on your DHE stock and brag, "This here checkering was cut with a full power MMC carbide wheel, not a machine"!

Count me out...

PS: It's YOUR stock. Do what you want.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #12
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I have not yet used a power carbide cutter. I began checkering at 16 years old with hand tools and 52 years later still use them. I am simply looking for a way to do extensive patterns more quickly and help cut short lines to the proper depth without having to worry about run overs.

Parkers were not totally hand built. They used pulleys to work the machines and jigs that did the initial cuts on frames and other parts and then finished them by hand. Modern fine shotgun builders use CNC machines to do the same and finish by hand the way Parker did with their pulley system. Holland and Holland now uses CNC machines and Connecticut Shotguns always did. Are these guns or Parkers lessened by the use of machines? Certainly not.

If somebody looks at my checkering 100 years from now they will be admiring the attention to detail and the perfection of the job. They will care less if the initial cuts of the checkering were done by cutting wheels. They would have no way of determining that any more than they will look at a Parker produced frame and comment on the machines that were used to do the initial cuts. It makes no difference. It’s the finishing hand work that means anything at all. If I go to a power carbide cutter, my work will still be hand done with no apologies.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 05-13-2018, 08:15 PM   #13
Mark Beasland
PGCA Member

Member Info

All the checkers that I know that use power cutters only use them for lay out, guided by hand cutting one line at a time and after layout they deepen one line at a time by hand till pointed up.

No diference in the look of checkering layed out with power tools vs hand tools.
Mark Beasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mark Beasland's homepage!
Unread 05-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #14
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Exactly! That is how it is done. Skill and a steady hand are still required when cutting with the power tool one line at a time from right to left and then back again to the right if wanted. All work is pointed up by skillful hands as are the mullered borders or any border for that matter. It is true hand checkering, no doubt about that.
Unread 05-14-2018, 01:40 AM   #15
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

I’d like to throw in one other benefit of the power tool. It makes checkering horn much more enjoyable with superior results.
Carl Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2018, 02:47 AM   #16
PML
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,568 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
Errr... ahhh, right. NO machine involved. At least one that makes any part of the job easier. I'm convinced.

And maybe 100 years from now, some collector will point to a pattern on your DHE stock and brag, "This here checkering was cut with a full power MMC carbide wheel, not a machine"!

Count me out...

PS: It's YOUR stock. Do what you want.
Kensal,
I wonder if you have ever actually put a checkering tool in your hand.

PS: Could you today or 100 years from now even tell the difference of a mechanical vs. hand checkered stock?

PML
Patrick Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #17
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

For what its worth ,I only use hand tools - i'm quite comfortable with what I can do with them ,that being said I've never seen let alone used a power cutter ...my neck is my biggest issue a power cutter wouldn't help there
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 05-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #18
Robert Brooks
PGCA Member

Member Info

My neck bothers me a lot while checkering. Bobby
Robert Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Brooks For Your Post:
Unread 05-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #19
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Lien View Post
Kensal,
I wonder if you have ever actually put a checkering tool in your hand.

PS: Could you today or 100 years from now even tell the difference of a mechanical vs. hand checkered stock?

PML
Mr. Lein:
Since you've asked nicely, Yes. I've checkered stocks for over 50 years. With hand tools. And yes, I can tell the difference. Also in people...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #20
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
Mr. Lein:
And yes, I can tell the difference. Also in people...
I'm backing out here. Harsh attitudes don't have a place on this site in my opinion. I sometimes disagree with those on the site. Sometimes I'm proven wrong, sometimes I am right. It makes no difference. As long as one shows proper respect and disregrees in a manner that moves the discussion forward, it is all good.

No more posts for me on this thread.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: