Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #51
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

And Mr Sharpe : The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain. I think you’ve got it.
Unread 05-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #52
Pay Dirt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,341 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Isn't that from "Tales of Sinbad"?.
Odysseus, aka Ulysses listened to the siren song whilst tied to the mast of his shop.
Not unlike the sweet siren song of that next Parker...
Bobby Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby Cash For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #53
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Isn't that from "Tales of Sinbad"?

I think that is from Homer's Odyssey, when Odysseus tied himself the mast and crew used beeswax so as not hear the Sirens so as not to steer ship into the rocks.

The movie O'Brother Where Art Thou is based on the Odyssey and is a very funny Coens brothers movie.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #54
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I need to figure put how to not look at gun sites on the computer. This has led to my financial discomfort on more than one occasion.
Unread 05-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #55
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
I think that is from Homer's Odyssey, when Odysseus tied himself the mast and crew used beeswax so as not hear the Sirens so as not to steer ship into the rocks.

The movie O'Brother Where Art Thou is based on the Odyssey and is a very funny Coens brothers movie.

Right, Homer's.

How 'bout them sirens in Oh Brother Where Art Thou! Weren't they somethin'?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #56
Spin Drift
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

This is a recollection of a conversation that happened at the Southern HOF dinner. I actually have to thank Mr A. Wheaton for setting the flag in the ground for the his answer to my question answer of his question of how many Parkers I had. He said he had "a lot," I asked him how many in "a lot," he said about 200. The reason that I have to thank him is that my Pretty Wife was sitting between us and now considers that I have about 175 to go to get to "a lot," that she will let me get a few more.

How does this refer back to the subject of this thread, well let me put it this way, if one has the patience one will get "a lot" of Parkers.
Michael Moffa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moffa For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #57
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

"He said he had "a lot," I asked him how many in "a lot," he said about 200."

YIKES!!!
Unread 05-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #58
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

And just when I was starting to think I had a lot, I learn I’ve only just begun. Oh my.
Unread 05-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #59
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

I need to get busy. Have some catching up to do
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #60
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cronkhite View Post
Mark: The Borden Parker is a beautiful DHE 12 ga 28" Titanic barrels F/F with CPG and SBP. It was ordered by Charles W. Dimmick , a principle of the US Cartridge company in 1906 for presentation to Sir Frederick William Borden in 1907. The barrels are factory engraved on the top rib with Sir Frederick Borden. I would argue that this Parker may well be the most important Canadian Parker, certainly not by grade as I know of several A's B's and C's in Canada; rather, important by its significant Canadian provenance. Sir Frederick Borden was a Minister of the Crown in the Canadian Parliament, along with being an entrepreneur of note and a medical doctor. There is a biography of the man published under the title A Knight in Politics - that I profess is a fairly dry read but I got through it. His legacy is transforming a British commanded militia into a Canadian commanded free standing army. He needed a lot of ammunition to train troops and I suspect (yet to prove) that the US Cartridge Company of Baltimore played a role and the DHE was possibly a "token" of appreciation. What I do know so far (and I admit it is off and on that I research this gun), the Borden Parker is a Meriden gun, ordered by Charles W. Dimmick in 1906 and presented to Sir Frederick William Borden. The trail runs cold for me until it was purchased by Dale Riawetz of Kentville Nova Scotia, who unfortunately passed away and his wife only believes he got it from a Borden descendant or someone married into the family. From Mr Riawetz, it went to Joe Salter of Amherst New Hampshire. He is a family friend of the Riawetz family. Joe is a respected gun and militaria dealer. He advertised it as Borden Parker. I do Google searches from time to time for "Parker" and get all sorts of non-gun related hits and just about ignored clicking on that link, thinking another obit or shooting or whatever. To my surprise it was this DHE. I contacted Joe and discussed the gun and what he knew of it. Once I learned the provenance, I couldn't resist at least making an offer. I was once again surprised to have the offer accepted. He said he had given the widow much more than my offer as a friend of the family. I think he was just happy to see that lost puppy go to a good home. Definitely a decision made from the heart not the head. So, it now graces the wall as my prized non-family gun. Dad's VH is the most important provenance to this custodian of a few Parkers. The Borden Parker is not a stay at home queen. It looked in excellent condition so I had to try those F/F barrels on some long range wild roosters. This is how I learned that mal-functioning ejectors don't become extractors. The shells ejected but I could not close the barrels afterward. I managed to push the ejectors forward and re-load and get the gun closed. I did get me some roosters. I then sought the wisdom of an old friend and he gave me suggestions, which I followed and repaired the problem. There was some binding on the ejector rod in the barrel, thankfully not the forend mechanism. With some very judicious filing (and I mean VERY), the problem was cured and it worked smoothly. End result, some nice dinners. I'm a bit reluctant to take it afield any more as the wood finish is still factory intact but I did have to shoot it. Joe appreciated this picture.

This pic is a typical December hunt for me -30 with windchill taking it to just above -40 The Borden Parker's second trip with me.
Just had an interesting conversation with my business partner concerning the above. He is definitely related to Sir Frederick. They have brothers in common in their heritage. They were all originally from Rhode Island, and some brothers were Tory's and ended up in Canada (Sir Frederick) and other brothers supported the revolution and eventually became the Borden Dairy faction of the Borden's! It is my understanding that Sir Frederick has an air force base named after him. Allen also intimated that the French Canadians were upset back in the day because Sir Frederick Borden was responsible for getting Canada in the Great War.

Amazing what history lessons Parker guns instigate!!!