Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Question about recoil
Unread 04-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Question about recoil

Okay, I have never been much of a rifle guy. Over my life I have owned a .22, .30-30, and 7x57mm. I briefly owned a Ruger No. 3 in .45-70 but promptly traded it.

Anyway, can anyone tell me the recoil comparison of a .375 H&H? I have been told it is no worse than 12 gauge rifled slugs. I have never been recoil sensitive, but I don't want a teeth rattler either. I never feel recoil in a hunting situation, but I'm sure this is going to be a beast to practice with.

Any experienced input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Mr. Houde:
Many things effect felt recoil. Bullet weight, powder charge, gun weight, personal physique etc. However, a factory 270 or 300 gr load for the .375 H&H is not a fun day at the range with most rifles. If you know about a Ruger No. 1 in .45-70, then you have an idea of a .375 H&H. I always shot my M-70 from the bench with a shot bag/sand bag between the gun and my shoulder.

And I was always glad to finish the session.

There is a reason why you can't find a "shot-out" barrel on .375s...

PS: You can load the .375 with low-velocity cast bullets and have a nice day.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

I find that shooting off a bench is much worse than the same gun and shell in the field. Something about getting "Screwed into" the gun on the bench makes it worse IMHO
I had worked up a long range Pheasant load for Springer field trials which was pleasant enough to shoot in the field, but when I shot the same shells and gun off the bench to verify muzzle velocity, it nearly killed me
Unread 04-29-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Friend of mine and well known Parker shooter operates the rifle running target event at the Vintage cup. I help out. Watched a lot of big guns shoot the event. 16 shots, one charger two runners and a turning target 4 shots each string. We shoot the same targets at our gun club the machinery belongs to him.

At our club I don’t have any recoil problems shooting 30/30 Lever action or 30/06 Bolt action the 16 shots. Recoil about like a shotgun, fact the target is moving mount and shoot helps. Few of our members use 375 H&H and larger bolt actions before hunting trips. It’s great practice, they only shoot a few shots.

In the Vintage event, stalking class guns in the 30/06 recoil class shooters do fine. Stopping rifle class is were the big ones shoot, there is a power factor , I can’t quote it but full power 45/70 barely makes the factor. My observation the recoil is brutal. Some shoot them well one of the best a PGCA Member. To my eye all show the effect of recoil repeated entry with different guns.

My observation, never actually shooting the big calibers, best to practice with short sessions. You are not likely to run long stings on game, do need to get off a good first and follow up shot. Frankly if I had a need for a big stopping rifle it would be a 375 and practice with cast bullets following up with several short sessions full power before the trip. 375 can use store bought 38/55 cast bullets.

You are in Virginia , I can probably arrange for you to shoot our running targets at Montpelier.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2018, 11:20 PM   #5
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mr. Houde,

You may find these two links helpful. The first tab provides rifle recoil numbers. The second tab provides a comparison with shotgun loads.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

https://chuckhawks.com/compared_rifl...un_recoil.html

I'm glad I stick to 1oz loads.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 04-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

When central NY was shotgun only for deer, I used my 2 Browning auto 5s, one scoped, one with their deer barrel iron sights. Pre season shooting off a bench was tough as both guns weighed between 7 and 1/2 and 8 pounds and recoil was somewhat brutal. When the law changed to allow rifles, I switched to my pre 64 (1948) model 70 in 375 HH, using factory shells. I actually believe recoil was less with the 375, more of a heavy push rather than a slam from the brownings. I attribute this to the 375’s weight with scope, an Lyman All American 6 power. Combined, the gun weighs about 10 and 1/2 pounds. I no longer chase whitetails but when using the 375, I got about 30 at ranges between 100 and 350 yards.
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2018, 08:24 AM   #7
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

Fear Not! The 375 H&H is said to be the Queen of the medium bores, and one of the reasons being it is very shoot able. Assuming you'll be shooting a scoped rifle, mount a scope with good eye relief, and get your LOP right before you sit down at a bench. And don't crawl the stock.

In fact don't make your first experience with the 375 from a bench, but off shooting sticks. If your not familiar with tri pod (3 wooden pole about 1" thick 5' long tied bound together about 6" from the top) the sticks and standing position, will allow you to move with the recoil better. Doesn't have to be a distant target say 25 yards and even bore sighting will have you on target. You aren't concerned with where you hit, but just to get a feel for the rifle.
Firm grip, keep the stock tight against your shoulder. You can use a pad or a folded towel if you feel the need. 375 rifles are as they come, typically fairly heavy most are close to 10 lbs. once you get a scope mounted. I would bet you will be pleasantly surprised to find the 375 H&H is not a recoil demon. Limit yourself to 5-10 rounds at first, once you get it sighted in and content with a load. Again get off the bench and back on sticks.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 05-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks all for the input.

Bill Zachow:

Having grown up in Central New York, I miss deer hunting there. Spent a lot of time hunting in South Otselic. I get home to visit quite a bit, but hunting there is focused on ducks and partridge.
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
Bill Anderson
PGCA Member

Member Info

The smartest thing you can do is buy a Caldwell lead sled for the bench. When I got started into the 3 1/2" 12 gauge turkey load craze, patterning even a few shells was just plain torture. After I bought the "lead sled' shooting all day with any gauge or caliber is no problem. I added 100 lb to the sled, a chunk of steel from a junk yard, and smile now every time I pull the trigger. The lead sled is also ideal to hold and adjust any rifle, even my 22s and air rifle when sighting in a scope that I just mounted. I got over the 3 1/2" 12 gauge and only shoot SxSs now, but the lead sled is here to stay. But, be ready though, as all your friends and family will want to borrow it. You'll thank me after you buy one!

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...well+lead+sled

Bill
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 05-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #10
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
Mr. Houde,

You may find these two links helpful. The first tab provides rifle recoil numbers. The second tab provides a comparison with shotgun loads.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

https://chuckhawks.com/compared_rifl...un_recoil.html

I'm glad I stick to 1oz loads.

Ken
Thanks for posting the charts. I was talking a little about this in a post a few months ago. That shotgun to rifle comparison table is great. Mostly what I was discussing is which is worse recoil a 12 gauge BPS with 3.5 inch shells or a 10 gauge with 3.5 inch shells. The chart makes no reference to 12 Ga. 3.5 inch shell but I think recoil energy is pretty close if not higher than the 10 ga, probably due to mostly gun weight difference and some other factors for each.

All I know is that when trying to pattern 3.5 inch turkey loads, it was a whoopin and your chart demonstrates that beautifully with some numbers. I was guessing then that potentially loads I was using in a pump were maybe producing close to 65 lbs of energy and your getting all of it.

Anyway good stuff and thanks again for sharing that info. It looks like the .375 is comparable to 12 gauge using 3 inch shells. That should not be to awful.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote