Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 08-15-2023, 04:51 PM   #11
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

I use International and DR16 for my 3/4 oz loads also. Have 1 more pound of International and 600 DR16 wads left.
Unread 08-15-2023, 04:58 PM   #12
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

My advice would simply be, buy the powder. Even if you choose another recipe, there are lots of people who would love to have 7625 to hang on 'just a little longer' to the tried and true 16ga. load. All components are fluctuating in availability, and we need to watch out for others, as well as ourselves.
Other recent threads have popped up where people are looking for shells, and reloading is still less expensive. Not only that, but the shot weight and size is within your control, rather than compromising with what's on the shelf.
Give or take a penny or two, I know my 28s are $7.25 per box with once fired hulls, and $11.00 with NPEs.
At $21.00 per box retail, you only need to load 35 boxes to amortize the cost of a 600Jr press.

Last edited by edgarspencer; 08-15-2023 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: spelling, as usual.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 08-15-2023, 05:22 PM   #13
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
My advice would simply be, buy the powder. Even if you choose another recipe, there are lots of people who would love to have 7625 to hang on 'just a little longer' to the tried and true 16ga. load. All components are fluctuating in availability, and we need to watch out for others, as well as ourselves.
16 oh my gosh about the only thing I use 7625 for anylonger is the 10 gauge . Now for the 16 I lucked into a very nice 1 ounce load using SR4756 the SP-16 wad in the old WIN 16 gauge Upland and Xpert smooth AA style hulls . Think I loaded about ten pounds of SR4756 in my 16 loads the past three years . Think I’ve got enough 16’s loaded with 7 1/2’s to last me possibly two years for clay and feathered targets .
Unread 08-15-2023, 05:29 PM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
And Int'l Clays!
Think I’ve got a pound of Universal Clays and two pounds of International Clays for use in the 8 gauge with 1 5/8- 1 7/8 ounce loads mostly for buck , ball or slug . Any bird loads in the 8 I use the same 11/2 ounce target load with maybe a change in shot size , I kinda enjoy taking an 8 to Prospect Hall and shoot it at one peg in the tower shoot .
Unread 08-18-2023, 10:51 PM   #15
Peter A Van Tassell
Forum Associate

Member Info

One modern powder that fits that description would be vihtavuori n340 and the faster-burning n320. And yes there is some limited load data, if you search for it. Both of those powders are porous, extruded single-base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
What powders would that be that do the same things?

7625 was a single-base straight NC powder, progressive burning with a much slower burning/pressure curve than double-base powders that have flooded the market. 7625 will produce high velocity at lower pressure and with significantly less felt recoil, that means a slower and longer recoil impulse which is kind to the shoulder and old gun stocks.

Certainly other powders can be used for 16-gauge loads and personally I reserve my stock of 7625 for heavy 12 and 10-gauge loads. Me, if I needed any 7625 I wouldn't balk at $50. per pound.
Peter A Van Tassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter A Van Tassell For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2023, 10:31 PM   #16
Brett Farley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I attended the auction Thursday evening and came up empty. The auctioneer sold ammo by the individual lot (including .22lr bricks) but when he got to the powders much to the chagrin of many he sold them all as one lot. There was all kinds of pistol, rifle, and shotgun powders. I was interested in the IMR 7625 along w/Clays and a 4 lb container of Unique. All of the powders went for $1600 + 3% BP + 7.3% sales tax.
I’ll continue the search! Interestingly several flats of target loads (Federal and Remington Gun Club) went as high as can be bought locally. Winchester 209 Primers went for $85/1000 and that didn’t include the BP and tax. I thought things were settling down some but you couldn’t tell from this auction!

Last edited by Brett Farley; 08-20-2023 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Brett Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brett Farley For Your Post: