Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 12-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #21
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

johniemac...if the gun was mine i would try to restore it....i think it would be a challenge but worth knowing thatthe old gun was shootable again.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #22
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Just looking at what is left of this old lady I figure around 5-10000 to get it right if it is possible to restore it at all! do not know the condition of the inside of barrels or wall thickness. Maybe the lower end if a stock and forend were available. I sold a D-grade 32" 10ga 2 years ago at vintigers for less than 3000 and it was a good shooter. Maybe a parts gun ?
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #23
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you can find the forend iron would be a big help. I think GB is a great idea because somebody will want it for parts.
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #24
johnmac
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holes View Post
If you can find the forend iron would be a big help. I think GB is a great idea because somebody will want it for parts.
The chances of me finding the forend are 0%. I bought this gun in a lot from a contractor friend of mine. Originally it was left in a historical house that he bought decades ago for restoration. He said the sellers left all the stuff they did'nt feel like tossing out.

The ironic part is that he thought the gun was worthless and the only reason that he did no put it into the trash years ago, was that he figured he would get into trouble for tossing a shotgun into the garbage can for pick up... luckily I came along and saved whats left of it...

John
johnmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #25
johnmac
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
johniemac...if the gun was mine i would try to restore it....i think it would be a challenge but worth knowing thatthe old gun was shootable again.....charlie

I would love to see this old boy restored. and yes it would be a challenge, I would take it on myself if it were an old Mauser or Garand. However I have restored rifles in similar if not worse condition, However I have never messed with a damascus barrel......

John
Unread 12-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #26
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

johnmac: Your D Grade hammergun with the scalloped breech balls is a rareity in 10 gauge on a #4 frame & 32 inch barrels. If the barrels are not in too bad a shape a good Parker gunsmith could restore it for you and then you would have a treasure. Think hard about it before parting it out. Where are you located? We can, most probably reccomend someone who would give you a fair estimate for restoration.

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #27
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

johnmac,

If it were mine I would NOT part it out! George is correct that a #4 frame D Grade is rare. The condition is however poor with surface pitting on most if not all of the metal. A complete restoration will be expensive.

For this rare Parker please consider the following options:
1. Restore is to like new condition and enjoy a rare Parker
2. Restore it to shootable condition and enjoy shooting a rough but rare Parker!
3. Sell it to somene who will restore it and enjoy it.

Respectfully,
Mark
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #28
johnmac
Forum Associate

Member Info

George and BFT I appreciate the straight forwardness and help with my decision. My only questions now are what MIGHT a full restoration by a qualified Parker man?

and two, how rare and what could it potentially be worth to me..... Man decisions decisions decisions!

Anyway thanks to the both of you
John m.
Unread 12-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #29
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

I would "guess" a full restoration would be $6000 plus. I see on Doug Turnbull's web site he estimates a full restoration of a VH at $3600 plus, so I would assume you couldn't get the additional engraving and a new stock for any less than $6000. And that may be very conservative.

If you are serious abut restoring it, I might suggest you contact him at www.turnbullmfg.com and send him these pictures and get his estimate. That would be a good start and you could get other estimates if you think it worth while.

As to what it would be worth after the restoration, I suspect less than the cost to restore it. How much less I don't know. Other here may have better advise or opinions on its value.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #30
johnmac
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yeah.... That's what I was afraid of.... That's way too far out of my budget. Seems my choices are limited to passing it on. I just hope whoever ends up with it restores it rather than parting it out. I would love to see it restored....

Thanks again guys
John