Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Westley Richards Paradox Explora
Unread 03-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Westley Richards Paradox Explora

Does anyone on the forum have expertise or knowledge on the Explora? I could use some offline guidance and would be most appreciative. Thanks.

KCordell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KCordell For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Nice gun. What bore is she. She is technically a shot or ball gun. Uses a brass shot gun shell with a large single grove slug in it. Look on vintage doubles sight and under hammer guns with the twelve gauges you will find a shot and ball gun. If you look at the pic's you will see one of the lid. There you will find some load info and there is also a pic of a proper bullet mold and cast bullet. Un like yours this is a smooth bore. Yours should have rifling at the muzzle. If you look in cartridges of the world at the end of the chapter on British ammo you will find an article on these types of cartridges.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I forgot to mention that the explora came along during the time of cordite. The load in the pic on vintage doubles is black powder. Look and see if your gun is marked tropical on it. If I remember correctly the guns made for continents with tropical climates used a lighter charge of cordite. The heat and humidity made the pressures climb and they blew a few barrels. Are the shells in your case something some one reloaded.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Wayne. This example is a 12 ga. You gave me some good data above that I am looking at now. I really have not cast my own bullets before but am not adverse to doing so.... From previous research, I know that H&H and other paradox manufacturers made their own ammo for their own guns. Bore sizes were all different...somewhat of a shame as H&H has started selling ammo again that will work in their vintage guns as well as contemporary.

Per your comment on cordite...here is some data.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCordell For Your Post:
Unread 03-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Your gun isn't listing the cordite charge only the weight of the slug. I noticed you have some slugs in the case. Are they modern shells. There is a gentleman that lives in Moscow Ten. named Ken Owens. He is pretty good with doubles. He owns a shop and he is a well respected gun smith. He may be able to give you information on your gun and its loads. He was a lot of help with my Manton. His no is 901-877-6853. You can reach him after 9:00am central through the week.
The Following User Says Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

you ve got to shoot this gun and tell us how it does..i ve always been interested very much in these guns ..i ve always wondered about their accuracy..would not it be great to take a deer with this gun...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Your primary source of information about this gun should be Westley Richards themselves. They should have records of it... and the cartridges it was built for.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Yes I want to shoot this gun with correct loads. The shells in the box were never used and someone gave them to me stating they would be ok to use. I decided not to use anything until I heavily research to ensure no damage to the gun and ensure the best performance. Based on the recommendation to call Mr. Owens, I will call him next week to hopefully get some clearer details on the gun and loads. Per the comment on Westley Richards, I went this route and basically they stink. Had not interest or time to invest in answering any questions and only details were "very nice gun of the era, sorry we don't suggest shooting any contemporary ammo, we do not have any ammo nor know anyone that loads for it".
The Following User Says Thank You to KCordell For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

That's the same treatment I got from Westley Richards. They were no help what so ever. Lee makes some slug molds for twelve gauge. If you can get the info on the cordite charge 3031 is a direct replacement. My Manton uses a 60gr cordite charge so it is 60grs of 3031. At least that is what Ken told me. Westley Richards offers a letter but I couldn't get them to corporate.
Unread 03-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I really like this gun I hope you get the ammo figured out. I would love to a see a 300 yards bullseye.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote