Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Super Fox Custom Stock in English Walnut
Unread 03-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Default Super Fox Custom Stock in English Walnut

This single trigger 30” barreled Super Fox HE was restored by Brad Bachelder of Grand Rapids Michigan. The work Brad performed was a good bit of gunsmithing magic!

The HE was restocked by Daniel Aubihl of Sycamore Ohio in English Walnut with a Parker ball grip and silver crescent.

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 03-16-2014 at 01:47 PM..
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 03-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

another fine fox for sure and those 3 inch shells go good with this gun.. charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

What is/was the rationale/stylization of having a rare HE Super-Fox restocked with at "Parker ball" (vs. a standard A.H. Fox pistol or half-pistol) grip? This is akin to having a fully restored Shelby Cobra outfitted with Gebler headers vs. the original stock equipment exhaust system headers. "A rose by any other name", but non-sequitor-ish, for sure!. Whazzup???
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Kevin it's a restored gun/shooter made for someone that wanted a beautiful gun stocked to his specs, what's wrong with that....? To me it's a beautiful gun that I would be proud to own.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 03-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
What is/was the rationale/stylization of having a rare HE Super-Fox restocked with at "Parker ball" (vs. a standard A.H. Fox pistol or half-pistol) grip? This is akin to having a fully restored Shelby Cobra outfitted with Gebler headers vs. the original stock equipment exhaust system headers. "A rose by any other name", but non-sequitor-ish, for sure!. Whazzup???
God rest his sole, but if Herb was still with us, he would have taken that as an insult. You had to know Herb, but he made some great headers none the less.
Unread 03-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I knew Herb better than any of you; I went to high school with him, shot trap with him, and rode in many of Herb's equipped cars. Herb's custom racing headers were in fact better than most stock (original equipment) high performance and racing cars. He knew this and wouldn't have been insulted at all - he'd have given what those of us who knew him best would term his 'jack-o-lantern' smile and gone back to welding his Krieghoff pigeon gun. The comment was made to illicit some of the popular hysteria of the "is it original" syndrome. Too bad I missed the mark. And yes, God rest his (sic) 'sole.'
Unread 03-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
The comment was made to illicit some of the popular hysteria of the "is it original" syndrome. Too bad I missed the mark.
Kevin,

I think you would like this HE, She sports 30" tubes and weighs 9 lbs 12 oz. The ball grip fills one's hand like a palm swell and makes her feel like part of one's body.

PS: If you knew the condition this HE was in a year ago you would praise me for my noble deed!

Mark

USMC Retired
Unread 03-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing the pictures of these really nice Foxes. Seems you have been keeping Brad real busy! Hope to see them at Hausmans's in June.

Not sure if this was you or not. Are you doing a project on a Lefever side cocker as well?
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Hi Frank,

I have a converted sidecocker at Brad's which I am undecided as what to do with it. She does have some long pipes!

Mark

USMC Retired
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Mark;

So far I have not met an HE that I didn't like - some just much more than others! NINE pounds 12 ounces! - now you're talking! That's the weight of my 32" gun! Maybe one day I'll get the back end of it back in time for the Bo Whoop at Ernie's - if not I'll just shoot my "Beckerized" 32-incher instead - restocked with a straight grip and the "giraffe necked" forend with ivory tip (pre-CITIES ban, of course!).

BTW - the centerpiece gun of our HE display last weekend at the MACA Show was none other than Henry Bartholomew's #1 frame 2 3/4" HE with 32" bbls. straight grip, which tipped the scales at 8 (Yes, EIGHT) lbs. even). I had occasion to shoot this gun using 2 3/4" magnum Kent Tungsten Matrix loads, and I can tell you it got my attention quick! Not used to shooting straight grip guns, the TG bit my middle finger good - so much the better you had this gun stocked with a ball grip - much easier to 'steer' and control.

Also, we had quite a discussion at the MACA Show about restoring guns - yes/no; value/devalue, etc. So far as I'm concerned, a well-restored gun like this one puts you so far ahead, its a big advantage in time and $. Kudos for preserving another of the 'Boomers' for future Foxdom. And I already praise you, but you know that!