Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 11-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

The "P" serial numbers are thought to be prototypes made before full scale production and sales began. They come up for sale from time to time. If you have more photos you'd like share, many here would be interested. Spec.s on the gun would be of interest to the repro-philes as well. The case is unlike any Parker Repro case I've seen and is very likely not original. Nonetheless, you gun is fantastic! Congrat.s on a great acquisition.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

Very nice gun John. in what is probably the most preferred configuration--at least I prefer
this configuration in a gun to be carried. Your gun's wood most likely Claro walnut, appears to have an oil finish applied rather than the standard factory high gloss finish applied to virtually all Repros. The case supplied with your gun is obviously an aftermarket case and the trade label is for a Parker Bros. gun and not a Parker Reproduction.

You will enjoy your new gun...Cheers!
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 01:28 AM   #13
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

The oil finish - where ever it comes from - is superior to the poly varnish supplied by the factory. This one took some doing but it turned out great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7909.jpg (35.0 KB, 38 views)
Unread 11-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #14
John Mellinger
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the quick replies. I will have to reserve judgement on the case pending more investigation. As to the wood, I have to stick to the black walnut; I've been around too many guns and too much wood to conclude that it is Claro or English. American black walnut it is. Interesting that the gun is a proto type. Any more info on these guns will be appreciated.
John Mellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Its a nice case and I would encourage you to investigate it. However, I can assure you that it is not an original case sold by Winchester or the Reagent Chemical Company. What would be the point in listing Parker Brothers defunct New York sales office address? Further, I believe Remington prevented the makers of Parker Reproductions from using the Parker Bros name. Black walnut would also be unique among all the repros I've seen (hundreds) including the ones with "P" serial numbers.
Unread 11-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #16
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

Regarding the wood on the gun above- i know they cut some 'black" walnut trees in California as well as the claro and english varieties. I believe the Skeuse family owned a walnut supplier in California and I doubt they turned away a 'black" walnut if it was for sale in the log.I believe one could expect a mix of walnut varieties in the Parker reproductions as far as stock wood goes.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
Your new repro...
Unread 12-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #17
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Default Your new repro...

Very nice wood...Looks to have been striped and oil finished. Case is non original, may be galazan with repro label for the original Parker gun? Watch for a original case for 28" barrels or 26" barrels with the spacer in place with canvas cover, do not buy a 12ga case ...to big. Approx 350.00 give or take. Snap caps and oil bottle should say Parker Reproductions on them if original. It will be a great gun to have and use. The price was fair. Double trigger guns are harder to find and cost more. Thanks, Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-: I could use your case for one of my original parkers, send me a e-mail at shooting-stars@comcast.net when ready to part with it.
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote