Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

round ball
Unread 06-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default round ball

today i made some round balls size of mold was marked 72 i took this to be a 72 caliber...i opened up a 12 ga shell poured out the shot then tryed pushing in the ball into the wad it would not go in...i cut off the crimp and it went in except it swelled the sides of the hull would not fit in a gun....i took the wad out it was a 2 piece this was a estate brand of shell...never seen a wad like it...i then could put the ball easily in the hull...i then took a paper towel tore off a piece of it wrapped it around the ball worked like a charm...had to shoot it in a clyinder bore gun the ball could not be forced down a modified or full choke barrel... i then go get a 10 ga hull and try the ball in it its loose in the hull but i believe it will fit just right in a 10 ga wad...will know tommorrow after i go to memphis again tomorrow for another appointment a kidney doc says i m low on somethingi feel ok...anyway i think i have found my 10 ga round ball now....i aint weighed the ball but i believe it will go 1 ounce to 1 1/8 ounce....hope this round ball load shoots a little better than my 8 ga round ball load....these loads are sure fun to fool with found out one thing though these new wheel weights that stick on are not lead and will with stand a torch and not melt.....any ideas what they are...a friend has been saveing them for me....i had a big pile of them....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 06-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
James Halvorson
Forum Associate

Member Info

If they are not melting, they are likely steel weights. Zinc would melt at 787 degrees.
Lead melts at 621 degrees. Steel melts at 2,500 degrees.

You don't want zinc in your pot either. Zinc is much lighter than lead and much harder.

Last edited by James Halvorson; 06-03-2019 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: add picture
James Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James Halvorson For Your Post:
Unread 06-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
Edward Yager
Forum Associate

Member Info

Idumped the shot out of a 10 ga then took a 12ga slug filed a little off the outside of the base and it fit into the 10ga wad. They shoot great and put a dent in a 3/8"steel plate. Ed
Edward Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Edward Yager For Your Post:
Unread 06-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i loaded up the round balls in the 10 ga hulls this evening...the round ball was to big useing the plastic wad so i just wrapped a little paper around the ball to snug it up in the hull...i chose green dot for the powder useing 23 grains...i first shot from 45 yards accuracy was terrible could not hit a 2 foot by 2 foot target..... i moved up to 25 yards accarcy was good...got to work on the accuracy at 45 yards...any ideas anybody..... charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 06-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Charlie, with double rifles a bullet that is too light or too fast will cross. That means that the left barrel will shoot to the right of aim and the right barrel to the left. The opposite for bullets that are too heavy or too slow. The right barrel will shoot to the right and the left barrel will shoot to the left.
I'm trying to recall my experiments, but can't. I think the balls were too light or too fast and crossed. I have a GH that shoots 1oz factory slugs side by side at 25 yards to point of aim. Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

my round balls may be moveing to slow...from 45 yards i could not tell where the balls were hitting i m going to try at 20 yards my next time out....i figure these round ball loads should shoot out to 50 yards with some accracy gona keep trying....charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post: