Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

10 gauge loads for a Damascus Barrel?
Unread 04-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Kevin Lefebvre
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 10 gauge loads for a Damascus Barrel?

I have a Wc Scott that I shoot with BP. Im tired of cleaning it over and over. So im looking for smokeless loads. I wrote down a few low pressure ones but id need abit of guidance. I already downloaded the PDF that everyone talks about with the 10 gauge loads.
I wrote down a few using Clays and 700x. All the ones for red dot dont have any pressures listed.

I have a powder supplier not to far from me that stocks Imr powder, so I could get IMR red, clays, 700x easily.

Can Anyone tell me loads they use for damascus barrels?
Kevin Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

using Peter's big spread sheet of 10 gauge loads you should be good with any of low pressure loads in there

and a couple of us have posted our tested loads - I think they are also in the sheet now

but a search will find them - such as
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...hlight=red+dot
or non tox http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22303

PS- did you check the chambers - some early British 10s are 2 5/8 not the American 2 7/8 -
Unread 04-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
Kevin Lefebvre
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
using Peter's big spread sheet of 10 gauge loads you should be good with any of low pressure loads in there

and a couple of us have posted our tested loads - I think they are also in the sheet now

but a search will find them - such as
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...hlight=red+dot
or non tox http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22303

PS- did you check the chambers - some early British 10s are 2 5/8 not the American 2 7/8 -
They seem to be 2 7/8. I cut Winchester 3 1/2 shells and they work great so far. Would the red dot loads work for me? They are at 6000+ psi. What would people recommend in Damascus barrels. Iheard under 7000 is safe. Over and its at your own risk.

Thanks
Unread 04-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

the 19 grains of red dot and1 1/8 ounce load is good and 21 grains of green dot and 1 1/8 lead shot works great in my damascus guns....these loads are in pete lesters load sheet on the 10 ga.i shoot my 10 ga s and 8 gas alot withheavy charges of smokeless powder never had a problem with the barrels....mr bell had to exceed over 30000 lbs of pressure before he blowed upa damascus set of barrels and the fluid steel barrels blowed up at 34000..mostly people load low pressure shells in their damascus barrels and fluid steel barrels is to protect the wood on the gun and the shooters shoulder....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
Kevin Lefebvre
Forum Associate

Member Info

I guess Il get a pound of IMR red and see how it goes.
Unread 04-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

I have an W&C Scott hammerless circa 1881 10 gauge that's been in our family for 75 years .

I initially used a Ross Seyfried load of 30 grains SR7625 SP-10 wad with a 1/8" 16 gauge card in the bottom of the shot cup , 1 1/4 ounces of shot and a 10 gauge overshot card just to keep my folded crimp flat . I've used that powder charge with bird shot , bismuth shot , buckshot and slugs (although no slugs in the Scott) and they all did pretty well .

I also used a slight variation of the ALLIANT Red Dot 18.6 grains of Red Dot , SP-10 wad , three 1/8" 16 cards 1 1/8 ounce shot and a over shot card . That load works great for skeet , trap , sporting and quail/dove .
Unread 04-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #7
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think IMR is now owned by Hodgdons. If you stop and think for a moment, a 10ga chamber is larger than a 12ga, so any moderate 12ga load will be even less in a 10ga - more surface for the powder to expand against. I believe all 10ga shells are straight walled and I treat them all the same for reloading data. The 7625 Craig is using is no longer made or PB and 4756 - all gone. I use the 16ga 1/2" cushion wads in a SP-10 to take up space - they're easy to cut the correct height for a proper load height for a good crimp. One 1/2 wad is cheaper than two or three .125 over powder wads. Of course a navy bean would also work. I shoot 1oz loads in my 10s for clay birds. I don't remember right now, but it was 21.5 or 23.5grs of GD and 1oz of shot. I'm thinking it was the 23.5 load - no recoil and great at breaking birds. Good luck.
Unread 04-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
Kevin Lefebvre
Forum Associate

Member Info

I also need loads for my 12 gauge 1887 winchester. But those are alot more popular then 10 gauge. I was wondering about shot weight and isnt 1 ounce shot light for a 10? What is the difference between 1oz 10 gauge and 12 gauge? Does it come out faster due to more powder?
Unread 04-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yes 1oz is light for a 10ga and in the 12ga I use a 3/4oz load. It doesn't take much to break a clay pigeon. With the International games around a 7/8oz load is all that's allowed. You never did say what you were reloading for - hunting or clays. Sherman Bell wrote some articles in DGJ a number of years ago where he was given 20 SxS Damascus wall hangers and was told to try and blow them up. None would let go with Remington proof loads - 18,500psi. He then took a Parker and got up to around 30,000psi before it blew. Will all Damascus guns take this abuse. I wouldn't think so, but it just shows Damascus guns aren't as dangerous like some would have you believe, He also did test with 2 3/4" shells in a gun with 2 1/2" chambers. If I remember correctly the pressure went up about 500psi. Each of us have to decide what's safe and what isn't for barrels and pressures. I myself usually keep my reloads at or under 8000psi and many guys like the 7500psi figure. One other thing to consider is barrel wall thickness. Most of us shoot American made guns - Parkers - and they were usually made with thicker barrels than our English cousins. You might want .100 to .120 around the breech end and at least .030 at the muzzles. The English accept somewhere around .020 - .025 at the muzzle. It passes proof house, but it is a bit thin. You can go here to get reloading data or call and request one of their free manuals. I find them much more useful than going online.
www.hodgdon.com or www.alliantpowder.com
Unread 04-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #10
Kevin Lefebvre
Forum Associate

Member Info

I would like to reload for general purpose. It happens that il walk around with a shotgun and hunt something if need be. I also shoot clays and targets. I do some of everything. Thats why I was wondering about shot weight. Id just want a moderate all purpose load.