Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Nice pics David. Guns with that much wear never cease to amaze me. The amount you'd have to carry a gun to wear the stock that much is unfathomable. I'd shoot low pressure smokeless powder over the BP just to ensure not corroding the barrels any further. If you've been reading the forum for a while I'm sure you've seen that many of us prefer to shoot our damascus guns and mostly shoot smokeless powder loads that we either reload or buy. Stick around and be sure to keep posting pics of your hunting with that gun. One of my two 20ga Parkers is a 1932 VHE20 that was my mothers so is pretty precious to me.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
David Borrowman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Richard. I just ordered a case of RST 7/8 oz paper lites with the fiber wad. Hopefully they get here before the last hunt of the year this weekend.

Speaking of the stock, do you suppose it is not original, and this one never had any checkering on it? It does have the Browning butt pad, and there appears to be some corrosion on the metal behind the trigger guard that looks like some tape may have been there at one time. I just can't imagine someone taking the time to put the shield back in or fitting the original end cap on a replacement stock.
David Borrowman is offline   Reply With Quote
barrel flat pic
Unread 01-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
David Borrowman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default barrel flat pic

Left this one out of the original pics. I can decipher some of it. 0 frame size, 3lb,5 oz bbl, and then some proof marks?? Any help with the rest would be great!

Unread 01-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Try Mike Allee in Shawnee.

I don't know what "gunsmith" you talked to. Apparently he didn't know that your gun was proofed when new with smokeless powder.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Bruce: Are you basing that on the 1913 age or by some stamping on the gun?

David: I can't tell if the stock is original but a wild guess is that it is and someone worked it down for some reason. It somehow looks smooth beyond just wear but it's just a guess. Is there a serial number stamped in the wood under the back of the trigger guard?
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
David Borrowman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Been offline for a while due to a virus attack (computer variety).

Richard,

The stock does not have a serial number under the trigger guard, so I think the general consensus is that it is not an original stock.

Bruce,

The gunsmith I showed the gun to was concerned about some of the pitting in the bbl (and probably practicing some CYA). I do plan on making a trip down to see Mike Allee. He is less than a half hour from the house. Thank you for the recommendation. I looked at some of his work on-line and am eager to see what he thinks of the old girl.
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

The shield in the stock is truly a mystery, but it still doesn't appear to be an original stock. Someone very familiar with Parker wood and the fit of 1913 guns would be able to tell you the true story. Regardless, whether your gun has wood or not, it is worth a couple grand. You may want to take some action on the barrels, but the rest is optional.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

David, the "D" designates Damascus, "J.G." is Jim Geary a prominent barrel-fitter/striker, "K" is for Charles A. King, Gun Works Superintendant and thought to be final inspector. {Odd that the mark for Charles A. King "K" would appear on a 1913 gun when he was succeeded by his son Walter King "WK" in 1908 but the barrels had likely been fitted to the frame during Charles King's tenure and were marked so.} I can't read the stamp over the "D" nor can I read the stamp to the right of J.G..

Last edited by Dean Romig; 02-02-2010 at 11:31 PM..
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #19
David Borrowman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Dean,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the mark over the D is a 4 indicating the type of damascus used. The other mark appears to be a cursive L or a "pound" sign (as in English pounds). Sure don't know what it means though.
Unread 02-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

The "D" indicates Damascus but the "4" is just one of those unsolved mysteries. If there was a 4 closer to the breech it would indicate a grade 4 gun (C grade) but that is not the case here. Sorry I can't help you on the 4.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote