Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #21
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,415 Times in 4,593 Posts

After doing a bit of research on the MEC Machines, I think that the 600 Jr. would be fine for me and how much reloading I would intend to do. One big plus about the 600 that I see is that if I want to do another machine, they say that dies are available so you can do them on the same machine. Whereas the 650 is only good for once guage only.
Unread 12-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #22
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

This is true. I love reloading period and whatever choice you make i'm sure it will be a fun time shooting the reloads you created. There is nothing like it.

The MEC people have some of the best service out there they really helped me getting my old reloader back in business.

Also Dave Suponski and the rest of the Parker Bretheren helped me out alot.

Thanks to them all!!!
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:23 AM   #23
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

Reloading is fun, but make sure you have a scale to measure your powder drops. The only way to know for sure how much powder is dropping is with a scale. A little extra can be a big problem. Dave
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #24
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
After doing a bit of research on the MEC Machines, I think that the 600 Jr. would be fine for me and how much reloading I would intend to do. One big plus about the 600 that I see is that if I want to do another machine, they say that dies are available so you can do them on the same machine. Whereas the 650 is only good for once guage only.
Brian the cost of additional set of dies to load another gauge will be near or more than the cost of a good sound used 600JR in the other gauge you want to load for. It is far more convenient and cost effective to have a separate machine ready go for each gauge.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #25
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

I agree with Pete...I think I paid about $80.00 for my 16 gauge Mec Jr. $40.00 for the 20 gauge and I traded a bottle of Makers Mark for the 28 gauge....

They all needed a little work but the cost was minimal.They are great machines.
Unread 12-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #26
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Maker's Mark needed a little work? Hmmm
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #27
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

John, The Makers Mark was just fine the way it was......
Unread 12-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #28
Jack Kuzepski
PGCA Member

Member Info

Brian,

I think you are making a smart choice in getting the 600 Jr. press. Before you buy you may want to look at an article I wrote in this reloading forum on the versatility of the MEC 600 Jr. for changing gauges and doing so quickly and inexpensively.

Jack Kuzepski
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #29
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

I have been thinking about this short chamber 12ga issue a bit and I think it comes down to what is best and what you can get away with. IMO what is best is to use shells the same length as the chamber, preferably low pressure factory shells or reloads generating the pressures of shells in the period the gun was made. Another option is having the chamber's lengthened provided you have sufficient barrel wall thickness and shoot 2 3/4 shells. I know that is heresy but here is how it goes when you go to sell your gun; the potential buyer will use short chambers against you as a negative to get the price down, or they will use the lengthened chambers against you to get the price down. If the gun is a lower grade or has lost it orginality by a restock what is the harm? That decision is best made after the gun is classified as a shooter rather than an investment. What you can get away with is another matter, good sound Parkers can take heavy loads whether the barrels are composite or fluid steel. How many guns did Sherman Bell try to blow up and failed and how much pressure did it take to blow up a Dam GH and Vulcan Steel VH, near 32,000 psi. I choose to treat my guns kindly with lower pressure reloads, some of my guns had their chambers lengthen others not. They are all in tact and have suffered all their wear and tear by being taken out in the field not from shooting them with any load. Remember high pressure doesn't crack stocks, heavy recoil and loose stock screws crack stocks so I try to keep my use of heavy loads to a minimum and check each gun and tighten screws if needed. Good luck everyone.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #30
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Yes, the Makers Mark was just fine the way it was but alas it is now gone. Lasted all but a week. The MEC should last a lifetime.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote