Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 05-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #11
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, thanks for the info. Man, you're really getting down there with some light loads - I had to reread your thread a couple of times to get it straight. What are you calling "close in targets" ? The 3/4oz loads I shoot are fine for just about any targets - from what I've read and experienced because of the short shot column they give about one choke tighter pattern. Wonder what yours do. Guess I'm going to have to start playing with the single stage press.
Unread 05-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,175 Times in 270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Bill, thanks for the info. Man, you're really getting down there with some light loads - I had to reread your thread a couple of times to get it straight. What are you calling "close in targets" ?
Paul,

Close in targets such as Skeet station 8 are real close, station 1 and 2 and station 6 and 7 too. Clays easily to 20 yards.

That's the beauty of shooting a side by side, or O/U too, where you have a selection of chokes from each barrel. In my case I shoot a 12 gauge two trigger early A grade Fox with 28" barrels choked IC in the right barrel and Full in the left barrel. Just the ticket for clays and skeet.

I have never patterned those 0.5 and 0.6 ounce loads. I do know they work fine if I'm on target.

And doing the math, those 0.5 ounces of lead shot use 14 grains of Alliant Extra Lite powder which produces 500 rounds per pound of powder. 0.5 ounces of shot will get you 800 rounds per 25 pound bag of shot. (Don't call me cheap, frugal is a more polite word.)

Nice light recoil that is easy on me and my 108 year old Fox.

I hope to hear from Tom Armbrust soon to get the results on those 0.5 and 0.6 test loads I sent him. I will make it know here in case anyone is interested.

Gonna be shooting some of these loads at the NE S x S Classic next week at HHH in PA.

Tough part in these loads is finding EL powder.

Bill
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #13
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sure, let us know, I'm very interested. About all my SxS's are choked under Mod - from skeet to light mod, and they seem to work out to 45/50 yards shooting 3/4oz loads. There's lots of powders you could use. I use American Select, Promo, and 700X at this time.
Unread 05-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #14
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'll post the test results from Tom Armbrust here when I get them.
Unread 05-31-2015, 07:35 AM   #15
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

410 and 28g skeet shooters use light shot loads with good results. Ones I know pattern and tweak chokes and loads to get them right. No reason a 12 g Parker can't do the same.

I only had long barrel tight choked guns, using spreaders for the close shots infrequent rounds of Skeet. Bought a 26 inch 12 g VHE choked .007 & .009 at the Spring Southern. Found my loads for tight choked guns did not pattern well in it at skeet distances.

Came up with a 3/4 oz load # 9 shot that patterns beautifully at 21 yards. Low recoil too. 16 grs of Red Dot CB 3/4 oz pink wad. Opens up a new chance to shoot for me, local club, average shooters ,its competitive against modern guns. Not going to win any tournaments shooting it low gun, still a lot of fun.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 05-31-2015, 07:49 AM   #16
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,400 Times in 598 Posts

Mr. Davis you are winning the tournament that really counts
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2015, 09:17 AM   #17
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well said, fun is what it's about.

On Red Dot low Pressure. Lightest load shown by Alliant is 16.5 RD 7/8 oz shot in a AA hull.

However Clay Buster on the CB 0175-12 Bag has Red Dot charges for 3/4 oz loads as light as 15.2 using AA Hulls.

I have loaded as light as 15.7 RD 3/4 & 7/8 oz with clean burns and no problems.

When you go light and if short range look at your shot size. 3/4 oz of 7 1/2 has 262 pellets. 3/4 oz of # 9 has 439. Key to full patterns with light loads is smaller shot. Skeet being close does not need large pellets. Centrifugal force spinning clay close to the trap throws the bird apart when hit.

Long distance target and clay long way from the trap or a hard target like Rabbits needs larger shot. 7/8 oz 7 1/2 in a tight choked gun will break clays to any reasonable distance. 45-50 yards is not too far for 7/8 oz

William
Unread 06-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #18
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, I use 3/4oz at all claybird ranges. Of course, I'm shooting for fun, but even though have noticed no difference in my score since going to 3/4oz. I use 8 or 8 1/2's for everything but load a little higher velocity, around 1250 to 1300 fps. I found with the 3/4oz loads at lower velocity and cold weather [ under 10 degrees ] I was getting some bloopers. In one of the SC's rags one of the writers claim he tested 3/4oz loads at skeet ranges and the loads were too tight unless he used a spreader or paper wads. Also said higher velocities helped open them up a bit. He found the shorter shot column deformed the bottom shot so much less that the patterns got tighter. I've never tested my loads, just know they break birds just fine even out to 40/50 yards. If you can find it, Promo is the same as Red Dot only cheaper. I've been told RD has been cleaned a bit more than Promo. You'll just have to check it for weight when reloading - could be different.
Unread 06-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #19
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Paul I used Titewad for my light loads, until I ran out and could only find Red Dot. Then had the word in at two gun shops, hold a jug for me out of the next shipment of Red Dot or Titewad. We don't get real cold weather often. Below freezing mid day couple of times a year at most. Could find some bloopers if I did shoot in cold weather.

Two days apart 8 lbs of Titewad 8 Lbs of Red Dot show up. I kept the Red Dot, sold the Titewad to a Parker club member just to keep from having to switch my loads again.

I like the 3/4 loads a lot however for my VH 30 inch which weigh's more prefer the 7/8 7 1/2 loads. One of the Clays courses near me has some very long targets. I shoot with a top level squad, (squad not me) who shoot O/U's, they all use 7/8 7 1/2 because of the targets distance.

Way I keep all of this straight is load 7/8 in Red AA's 3/4 in Grey AA's Green Remington Gun Clubs are all loaded with 1 oz 7 1/2's and a Polywad spreader, and a lighter powder charge, used for Rabbits only.

You could shoot any Clay's or Skeet course with a Parker using B&P Competition One's 7/8 # 8's But tailored to my guns is so much more fun.

William
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 06-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #20
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

William and Paul,

My sporting clays and skeet shooting is all very casual and no scores are kept. My loads are pretty similar to yours: I shoot 700X 3/4 ounce #8's and 8.5's loads from my full choke left barrel for distance targets and 0.5 or 0.6 Extra Lite 8's and 8.5's from the right IC choked barrel for the closer shots. I've never patterned the loads and have never had a problem with cold weather shooting here in upstate NY.
I'm almost out of EL powder but have about 4 pounds of 700X left. Sure would like to find some EL.
Bill