Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

I want to shoot 2-3/4 out of a 2-2/8 gun
Unread 10-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Tom
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default I want to shoot 2-3/4 out of a 2-2/8 gun

Any body doing this ? It would just be easier. I have never reloaded before so I am just trying to gather info at this stage.
I have a 12 guage with 2-5/8 chambers, the front of the chambers on the bottom measures .060 that's pretty thin. I believe it came from the factory this way.
I'm thinking of 7/8 oz loads at around 9,500 psi or so. This would only leave 1/8 of an inch of shell in the forcing cone. And considdering this is an old gun bored out to .750 instead of .729 I'm not sure this would be a big deal. Of course I could be totally wrong.
My alternative thinking would be to cut the cases down to 2-5/8 but I am not sure how to handle the wad, I have been told not to modify the recipie so I'm not sure how to handle this.
Could I have some advice on this, I'm sure I'm not the first down this road.
Thank you, Tom
Virginia Hessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
Steve Havener
Forum Associate

Member Info

Tom a 2 3/4 inch published load will fit nicely into a rolled crimped 2 5/8th inch hull and not affect chamber pressure as the internal volume is the same as a 2 3/4 inch folded crimp shell. The alternative is to use RST short shells but not knowing the gun you are using I would discourage any 12 gauge loads above about 7,500 psi. There is plenty of published data for 12 gauge ammunition in that pressure range. As far a getting started roll crimping old hand operated roll crimp tools are available on e-bay usually pretty cheap and Grafs has overshot cards. You can do all the other reloading procedures ( resize, de-prime set primer drop powder, set wad and drop shot) on an inexpensive Lee press.
Steve Havener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Might look at your Hulls. Winchester AA's are a bit shorter than Remingtons. AA's in my 2 5/8 Parker chambers do just fine with low pressure loads.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Tom
Forum Associate

Member Info

Steve thanks for the reply
I should of mentioned, this is a parker DH 1-1/2 frame Damascus barrels in pretty good shape.
I understand the roll crimp thinking, it seems this would be a slower process than normal.
I shoot a lot and plan to reload a lot of shells so I am also looking for a streamlined process , I'm not sure if this fits?
I did buy a lee loader like you said. I may be off base here but that's my thinking.
Thanks, Tom
Unread 10-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Tom
Forum Associate

Member Info

William
Can you define your low pressure load ? I have a bunch of AA s that's what I was going to start with.
Thanks, Tom
Unread 10-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I shoot a Parker Damascus hammer gun with .750 dia barrels - they were fairly common. It also has the short chambers. I've always shot 2 3/4" shells in it with no problems. My reloads are all under 7500psi. I use a fold crimp - don't see any reason to use the roll crimp.
Unread 10-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Like Paul I don't see any reason to Roll Crimp, volume I load it would slow things down. Don't know of any defined "low pressure" point. Probably guage specific smaller bores run at higher pressures.

I have two target loads both in AA Hulls using Claybuster Wads.

VH # 2 frame Vulcan Steel Parker 7/8 oz shot 16.5 of Red Dot. This one straight from Alliant's web site, they say 7300 lbs 1200 fps. It’s a great clay target load. Recoil and performance a duplicate of B&P’s Competition One 7/8 oz

GH # 1- 1/2 frame Damascus Parker 3/4 oz shot and 15.7 of Red Dot. This is not a recommended load, Alliant calls for Extra Lite powder when using ¾ oz , not available so I backed off my VH’s load one power and shot bushing. It burns clean no issues.

Few years ago I would never use anything but recommended loads. Now have to make do with what I can get using some common sense. The 1 1/2 frame gun is fine with the 2 frame guns load, however it weighs just under 7 lbs and just feels better with the lighter load. I use it for Clay's and it breaks them at distance. Chokes are so tight light shot loads deliver plenty of pellets on target.

Also load a spreader shell in Green Remington Gun Clubs, green so I can tell them apart in my shell bag, same charge and shot weights as the regular target loads. The Polywad disk spreader insert takes up some shot space so go up one larger size wad. = 7/8 oz shot 1 oz Claybuster wad. The spreader is very effective to about 20 yards.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
Steve Havener
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Hessler View Post
Steve thanks for the reply
I understand the roll crimp thinking, it seems this would be a slower process than normal.
I shoot a lot and plan to reload a lot of shells so I am also looking for a streamlined process , I'm not sure if this fits?
Thanks, Tom
Actually Tom unless you go to a progressive loader you can crank out a roll crimp shell as fast as using a single stage loader once you get the hang or it. Once the other steps have been accomplished the only additional step is adding the overshot card. Putting the round in the crimp tool replaces setting the final fold crimp and three turns of the crank and you are done. If you choose the drill press roll crimper instead of the manual you add extra steps, waste time and don't get any better crimps.
Steve Havener is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Havener For Your Post:
Unread 10-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Check out http://www.hodgdonreloading.com Plenty of recipes there. I shoot 2 3/4 low pressure loads all the time in my damascus guns.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 10-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
Snap Cap
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Virginia, what frame size is this gun and what are the weight numbers on the barrel flats? What is the chamber diameter at the .060 area?
Fred Verry is offline   Reply With Quote