Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 09-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I use mine to load 2 1/2 in with a roll crimp. First run your shell into the sizeing die. Dos"nt matter if it is a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4" seizing die. Next rotate the shell to the priming station and remove the primer and seat a new primer. Then rotate the case back to the sizing station and remove the case from the sizing die. Place the casing under the shot and powder tube and dispense the powder. next seat the wad and dump the shot. Place your over shot card and roll crimp in a drill press. The last four steps are completed with out support from the sleeve. Its much easier than it sounds. One little tip. I use a 45/70 empty case to help remove the primed case from the sizing die. Drop the empty 45/70 case in the empty shotgun hull and lower the handle on the press. The case takes up enough space in the shotgun hull to allow you to press out the empty shotgun hull. I load shells this way all the time.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
Steve Havener
Forum Associate

Member Info

So essentially you are sizing, de-priming, priming, using the normal steps and then using the shot/powder drop tube to drop the charge, set the wad and drop the shot. Makes good sense. I use an old Pacific DL 155 to do what you are doing with the PW. I firmly believe that using the old hand operated roll crimp tool is much faster and gives you a better feel for what is going on with the crimp than the drill press mounted crimp head. Three turns of the handle and your crimp is complete
Steve Havener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

If you decide to use a fold crimp you may want to change your existing 8-point pre-crimp (if that's what it is?) to a 6-point as most factory 2 1/2" hulls have a 6-point crimp.
Unread 09-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #14
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good tips. 375's can do it all !

On your 45/70 knock out trick. I keep a few turned brass rods on my bench, larger than the primer hole small enough to slip inside the case for that job. Scrap bin has dozens of 45/70 cases I could have used easier.

Tip I have for Back Powder paper case loading is leave the P-W's powder tube empty. Prime then throw the charge with a Belding and Mull. Removable B&M measure tube will pour the charge in a 12 G shell without using a funnel or removing the shell Then insert the wad and drop the shot.

Saves cleaning out black powder in the 375's powder and charge tube when going back to smokless powder.

William

Last edited by William Davis; 09-09-2014 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: spell
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've tried several Mec loaders and just don't care for them. I use PW for everything except the short 12 gauge cases and brass cases.

I use a Lee Load All for my 12 gauge 2 1/2" shells. It's plastic and cheap, but by golly it does make usable shotshells. I size the bases of Federal paper cases with a Mec Super Sizer then I trim the old fold crimp off and load in the usual manner but of course I don't crimp. I put in the overshot wad and then put them aside to roll crimp when I finish loading the cases.
Dennis E. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,530 Times in 3,403 Posts

Very few people on the face of this earth hold PW in higher regard then myself . In the past they would pretty much make you anything within reason you asked for .

I however have been after them for a year or two to make me a 800 or 900 series machine for a 2 7/8" 10 gauge and they have yet to agree . Not that it's a big deal etc etc . But I still would like a PW progressive for the short 10

And with that being said PW 800 machines for 2 1/2" 12 , 16 and 20 would also be very nice to add to my accumulation of not really needed items .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote