Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

chambers
Unread 03-17-2015, 06:50 AM   #1
Michael Kitterman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default chambers

Hi everyone, I'm still relatively new here but need some advice on shell length to use. I recently purchased a 16ga VH, haven't tried measuring the chambers yet, but being built in 1907 am expecting to find them to be 2 9/16". The barrels are Vulcan steel, so my question is am I safe to use 2 3/4" over counter shot shells, or order 2 1/2" from RST or Polywad? Or is the concern not the barrels but cracking a 108 year old stock?
Michael Kitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,612 Times in 2,667 Posts

Your gun was intended to use 7/8 to 1 oz , 2 1/2 dre loads at nominal 2 9/16 to 2 3/4 expanded cartridge length. We have published those Parker load tables on this website many times previously. Max service loads run out to about 11,000 psi and are published in The Parker Story.

One ounce cartridges meeting this load requirement are available from Rio, Federal, Winchester, Remington, RST , probably others as they are standard 16 ga loadings. The 1 1/8oz 2 3/4 dre loads either exceed or are maximum for chamber service pressure. The 7/8 oz loads are to my knowledge only available commercially from RST.

The above is based upon stock in good condition to withstand recoil forces and barrels and chambers remaining in manufacturers specifications to withstand chamber pressures.

I personally find the 1 oz Federals to provide relatively soft recoil and low cost. Low weight and speed RST's are nicest shooting but cost can be a consideration to some.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post: