Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Took the big guns out today
Unread 01-21-2022, 12:42 PM   #1
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Default Took the big guns out today

My oldest brother and I took out some of my big doubles this morning, just wanted to walk around the property and see if anything was moving. I was mostly curious to see if we could find a hog or even a raccoon would have sufficed. I carried the 8 gauge and he took the grade 2 10 ga normally he is not interested in old doubles like I am, however since he shot the Parker he always asks to carry it when we go. I walked around for about 3hrs this morning carry almost 15lbs of 8 gauge and I have to say for me its more comfortable to carry than my hunting rifle. We didnt get anything but for us we enjoy just being out in the woods especially when carrying a sxs. It was pretty cold for our area this morning 36F and 90% humidity, I am pretty sure when its cold the humidity makes it colder and when its hot the humidity makes it hotter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hp1.jpg (104.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg hp2.jpg (168.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg hp3.jpg (150.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg hp4.jpg (158.8 KB, 6 views)
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2022, 12:47 PM   #2
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Few more pics of the Grade 2 10 ga, my brother said he was surprised how long he could carry it and still not notice the weight compared to other guns. I told him its because when a double is properly balanced its easy to forget about the weight. Its not particularly heavy I want to say it letters around 9.5lbs which I suppose is heavy by most standards. I honestly thought it was a 16 ga the first time I picked it up because it feels so petite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hp5.jpg (93.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 264638255_620487995733122_674646412394362271_n.jpg (176.9 KB, 4 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2022, 01:12 PM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

So, Milton, were your photos taken in "portrait mode?" The softening of the background suggests it. Those are nice photos. I don't recall the weight of your grade 2 gun(?) (Have you tried calling predators to your guns?)
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #4
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
So, Milton, were your photos taken in "portrait mode?" The softening of the background suggests it. Those are nice photos. I don't recall the weight of your grade 2 gun(?) (Have you tried calling predators to your guns?)
Okay I just dug out the letter it was 9lbs 15 ounces. Yes my brother likes using the portrait mode on his phone. I told him we should invest in a proper camera this year. We havnt tried calling them in yet, the plan for this year is to invest in some more gear. I want to try turkey hunting this area in April but im not sure if there are any in the area. We do keep finding large raccoon tracks its not something I have ever thought about hunting but looks like it could be fun. My grandad trapped one about 2 weeks ago that weighed 30lbs which I read is on the larger side. Though with how raccoon hunting seems to have died out locally I suppose it shouldnt be surprising to find a large one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #5
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Looks like turkey land to me. Turkeys are just about anywhere you look here in Tennessee.
Unread 01-21-2022, 03:59 PM   #6
Robert Brooks
PGCA Member

Member Info

Milton that 8 looks huge! Bobby
Robert Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2022, 04:22 PM   #7
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Brooks View Post
Milton that 8 looks huge! Bobby
Or the 10 ga is just small haha, the 8 gauge does have 36" barrels and somewhere around 14.5lbs. The great thing about long barrels though you're always aware of where your muzzles are. I find the best way to carry it is with the top rib facing down on my shoulder feels like it spreads the weight out pretty well.
Unread 01-21-2022, 08:39 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

nice hunting area them guns looked great in the field...I hunted coons for many years and the biggest I ever caught was 19 1/2 lbs I have seen coons in the nortyerb states that would have been 30 lb s or better...I was at ft. drum new York years ago them coons ran in packs seen as nigh as 20 at one time.....them 8 s ant bad to tote I think its because we look at them so much we don't know were tired...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2022, 01:06 PM   #9
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
nice hunting area them guns looked great in the field...I hunted coons for many years and the biggest I ever caught was 19 1/2 lbs I have seen coons in the nortyerb states that would have been 30 lb s or better...I was at ft. drum new York years ago them coons ran in packs seen as nigh as 20 at one time.....them 8 s ant bad to tote I think its because we look at them so much we don't know were tired...charlie
I know around here at least people usually sell coons they've shot for $20 or so, but its not really popular here any more either. We keep finding their tracks all over the place. We found some fresh ones yesterday morning walking across 300 yards of cotton stalks, my brother said no point looking for him we'll never find him in this cotton field. I think the coming up season will be better since the farmer is planting peanuts this year.
Unread 01-22-2022, 05:23 PM   #10
Keith Sirmans
PGCA Member

Member Info

That 8 gauge is amazing!
Keith Sirmans is offline   Reply With Quote