Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Side x sides ruin you
Unread 08-25-2018, 11:10 PM   #1
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Default Side x sides ruin you

I have been shooting parkers for the last 5 years or so and I must say they have largely ruined my me on other shotguns. I recently sold my browning superposed pigeon grade on here that I used to enjoy shooting and am contemplating selling my pointer grade as well simply because between the weight and the handling I no longer find them enjoyable to shoot. They are both fine guns but I just do not enjoy them. The same goes for my 1100 I grew up shooting and my dad's 2 browning 20 ga humpnacks (A5s). Those are not for sale, but I just don't find the shooting of them as natural or as instinctive.
Unread 08-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

I had a Browning Auto-5 20ga and still have a Browning Superposed 20ga. I appreciate each for their workmanship but boy did they beat me up. I could not get the Auto 5 to consistently cycle with 7/8 loads so had to use 1oz. I would shoot 50 rounds or worse yet 100 rounds at clays and there were times when it actually left a buttstock shaped bruise in my shoulder pocket. I sold the Auto 5 but the Superposed does the same with 7/8 oz loads.

I can shoot a Parker 20 weighing 6 1/4 lbs at 100 7/8 rounds and I’m not beat up or bruised at all. I have not found the Brownings pleasurable to shoot. I can understand that with the drop of the Auto 5’s but I don’t understand it with the Superposed. None of the guns had recoil pads. On the Auto 5 I stacked the magazine tube rings as directed and had the proper lube on it .
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 08-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Grew up shooting SXS but love an A5. After my youth model single shot I got a hand me down 20 ga. Spainish made double that had barrels cut to open the chokes up for quail hunting. That front trigger on that gun was wide it was knuckle buster of a gun and had to always wear gloves. Actually they were fighter pilot gloves that we got from Army/Surplus with that super thin goatskin leather. After that always preferred a single trigger sxs, but will never do that to Parker that did not come that way. Switch between types all the time, it's just like riding a different bike for one or two shots but after while double triggers is old hat.

It is such a hoot shooting A5 when that barrel recoils and hearing that ring. It is unmistakable when you hear that A5 pinging away. Feels like shooting an anti-aircraft gun. But, I do a agree with Bruce they are not soft shooting, especially a 12 gauge. I think that is why the 16 gauge A5 or Sweet 16 is so remembered and is great gun. It works great with 1 ounce loads and I have never had a problem with it being too heavy on recoil. Have never thought about it but have never been beat up by a 16 gauge or smaller gauge gun.

BTW found this article other day by Bill Hanus, which was big defender of truth and justice when it comes to 16 Gauge. Great read and he notes the favored status of 16 gauge Parkers for grouse. Also like the part of due to shot stringing and 16 ga having a 33% less issue, shooting a 1 ounce 16 ga load and getting shot on target on time was the same as shooting a 12 gauge 1 1/4 ounce load. Hence saying "shoots like a 12 but kicks like a 20".

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article...Baby-Page1.htm

Last edited by Todd Poer; 08-26-2018 at 11:17 AM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Yeah, my dad's old humpback 20s kick harder than any 12 I have ever fired. I just don't enjoy shooting the supers anymore. Craftsmanship yes, but the way they handle and balance not so much.
Unread 08-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

That is interesting. Wonder why an A5 in 20 that you both had, would have more realized recoil. I get it if gun weight to load could make a difference but you should be getting some recoil reduction with working action as opposed to none say via a straight gun like a sxs. I guess the A5 in 20 was just a bad combinaton of effective load to get gun to work vs gun weight. I know my 28 gauge sxs has a sharper felt recoil with less oomph than 20 gauge recoil that has more oomph but feels like a slower shove instead of a quick jab.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,637 Times in 4,629 Posts

Most A-5s (or other makes of same design) having too much recoil is due to improper adjustments or lubing of the gun in relation to the mag tube and friction rings. A gun of that design if adjusted and lubed properly should be very comfortable to shoot with most loads.

Now... my light twelve with the rifled barrel shooting sabot loads kicks no matter what.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 08-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #7
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,852 Times in 2,366 Posts

I shoot and enjoy them all -- side-by-side doubles, Superposeds, pumps (Winchester Model 12/42s and Remington Model 31s) and humpback autoloaders (Remington Sportsman and Browning A5s).

And, then there is the perfect skeet gun I picked up at my local Cabelas a few years back. Shot one round with it, went straight, cleaned it and hung it high on the gunroom wall --

Model 40 Skeet 03.JPG
Dave Noreen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 08-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe View Post
I have been shooting parkers for the last 5 years or so and I must say they have largely ruined my me on other shotguns. .
Allow me to refine this in my own way:

Side-by-sides reawaken you.

Everything else "ruins you."
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 08-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

Thanks John. First you told me that an Aston Martin English car was much more better than my Ford pick up truck and now you tell me that if I continue shooting my Marlin bolt action shot guns I’m ruined ?
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #10
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Yes.

But we all have our own standards of sophistication.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post: