Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Confused
Unread 06-19-2009, 02:51 AM   #1
Rajan Anderson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Confused

Ok I finally got a chance to take my Parker apart and look at the numbers but the Model that comes up isnt listed as a 10 gauge and I was told I have a 10 gauge.

Here is the information from the shotgun
Frame size is 20 (There is a very deeply engraved 2 then a lighter 0 next to it. I couldnt find 20 anywhere on the chart)
Weight of the Barrels is 3 (with a smaller 3 above and to the right of that 3)
Grade VH above the number 231344 then there is a V below the serial number
28" Vulcan Steel Barrel

Why isnt 20 listed on the chart for Frame size and how do I determine the gauge now without measuring the bore?
Rajan Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Rajan, take an exact measurement between the centers of the "firing pins" and post the measurement here. Someone will tell you the frame size. When all else fails this is what will determine your frame size. The 20 on the bottom of the lug could indicate 20 gauge or it could be a 2-frame with the lighter 0 stamp indicating something else entirely. There are several marks on Parker barrel flats and lugs that we do not know the meaning of.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

The gauge of the gun can be determined by inserting shotgun shells of different sizes in the chambers. The largest size shell that is a snug fit is the gauge of your gun. Judging by the weight of your barrels, (3-3), you probably have a 20 gauge.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Rajan Anderson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ok When I measure the distance between the two holes I get 2.2 Centimeters.

I am a Soldier and dont really know much about hunting firearms but there appears to be ejectors as well. When I removed the barrel the left curved metal piece slid up then the right did as well. So I guess the cartridges wouldn't have to be plucked out. I wish I could just grab some shells and test the gauge but I am not in NC now and buying ammo isnt so simple in New York City. Just from my observation the bore looks smaller than my Mossberg 500 which is a 12 gauge. From what I remember of the last 20 gauge I saw the bore looked considerably different than my M-500. Another marking I just noticed on the barrel lug underneath the chambers is a 34 then the number 4 engraved on the rear. Im not sure if that means anything important. I will be taking pictures (hopefully they will turn out well) later this afternoon and posting.

Last edited by Rajan Anderson; 06-19-2009 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: added info
Unread 06-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Rajan, 2.2 cm = 7/8" which I believe is a 0-frame and the 20 gauge Parker was normally made on the 0-frame.

The 344 you see on the lug should be the last three digits of the gun's serial number . . . no?
Unread 06-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
Rajan Anderson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Correct... I guess they shortened the serial number to put it on the lug. I thought it just might have been there for some other reason.
A 0 frame? Is that a common frame? I thought 3 or 4 was better.
So this was probably not a Man's hunting shotgun but something he bought for his kid to go hunting with him? or is a 20 gauge more popular for certain kinds of hunting? I dont know any men who own 20 gauges but of course everyone I know who owns a shotgun keeps the 12 for Home defense. I have one friend who uses a 12 for turkey hunting though.
Unread 06-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

A Parker 20 may be worth twice what a 12 is worth. Ejectors make it worth even more by at least 15-25%. How many triggers does it have?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 06-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

"I dont know any men who own 20 gauges"
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Well Larry, I guess you'll have to secretly give me that 15" 20 ga. that you "don't have".

Rajan, the 0-frame is very common and was used, in addition, for the "light" sixteen gauge and for the early 28 ga. Parkers. Generally speaking, the larger frame sizes,1, 1 1/2, 2, 3, 4 etc. were used for the larger bores like 12, 10 and the obsolete (on this side of the pond) 8 gauge which was built on massive frame Parkers and weigh in around 13 to 16 pounds . . . not a gun you would want to carry into the Bob-white coverts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
Rajan Anderson
Forum Associate

Member Info

It has double triggers. There are some poor res pics of it in the albums section here. I will take better ones this afternoon. I have to run out to Ft. Hamilton.
Sorry about the 20 gauge comment. What I mean is that the guys that I hang out with own shotguns like Mossbergs, Benelli Tacticals, Saigas,etc... and a 20 gauge is something nobody talks much about. My turkey hunting friend made a face once when someone mentioned a 20 gauge and kept quiet while it was being discussed. I never asked him why. I have only overheard, read here or there that 20 gauge is what Father's start their kids out on or buy for their wife to convince her to come hunting with them. The only shotgun that I have ever fired other than a 12 gauge was a .410 at Boy Scout camp when I was younger.