Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Dog Days of Summer....
Unread 07-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,221 Times in 834 Posts

Default Dog Days of Summer....

Wow - it's been a few hot weeks, so training sessions are getting short.. Anyway - my wife & I had our two brits out earlier today (we take them out 5-6 times a week for training/field play).. Anyway - here's what we've been working on..

First video is a large open field where the grass/brush is 3-5 feet high now.. We'll let them cast out - then you 'll hear two sharp whistles... When they hear them, they'll check back and respond to hand signals (In this case, you'll see I had Brie change the cast route - then head back to the road (she is TOUGH to see - as the grass is about three/four times her height!!!!)...

A few seconds later - you'll hear another different tone whistle, and that is Jen (my wife) working our larger Brit...

Anyway:

This is a bit later... we've been working short strips where the dogs will cast back and forth in "cover strips" (where the birds are bound to be during the season).. You'll notice I don't say much to my dogs while they are working - I use a whistle and mostly hand signals. Which is why I added music - as there isn't much to listen to except the bell around her neck :

Can't wait for bird season!!!!

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,539 Times in 825 Posts

john, i am with you on '' can't wait for bird season" i don't like the heat!! Wood is all cut and crow season opens soon , i'am just counting the days until fall scott. oh lost my head, nice work on the dogs! will we hunt birds together this year?
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,073 Times in 1,730 Posts

I,m with ya on that one Scott. The only good thing about summer is that it end's with the fall. I am NOT a hot weather guy at all!

John, Great video's....Thank's
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,221 Times in 834 Posts

Hi guys,

My thanks! As well - Scott, you better believe you & I will be hunting this fall - I look forward to it!!

About the heat - honestly - I don't really mind it all that much..? Sort of reminds me of Haiti, except with water, electricity and flushing toilets..??

BTW - Scott - let me know if you want to get together for crows, OK??

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

John,
Great pictures!! I love my brittanies. I only keep one for the limited amount of time I get to hunt. I have had really good luck with two special ones.
Mike
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKinney For Your Post:
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,386 Times in 661 Posts

Those addicted to the autumn and the hunt are obviously getting restless, including me. I intend to take a couple guns each trip until I have taken at least one bird/gun. Depending how the Parkers do, the old 870 the 1200 and the SKB auto may not see the field this year. I have my little Pontiac Firefly now converted to a dog car with room for me and some guns as well. CHARLIE and KYRA enjoy their rolling kennel. If all goes well, on a good day, I will be able to fit 3 roosters and a hun or two in the remaining space.

Summer was fun in my teens but now I'm in the autumn of my own journey on the planet, I feel a great affinity for the glorious days of October. The air is crisp, the skies are clear, the rising and setting sun leaves you in awe and giving thanks. Thanks for the precious time we have here. Thanks for the bounty that is the harvest, be it from the toil of the farmers or our own hands gripping a Parker in pursuit of the many game birds in our various favorite locales. The time is soon upon us. Wishing you all good times and straight shooting.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jack:

Well said !!!!!
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote