Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 01-12-2015, 11:21 PM   #21
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pete there is no has-mat fee on loaded ammo just powder and primers and percussion caps. The people at our UPS store told me that the individual Ups stores our owned by a company that has its own set of shipping rules. Very anti gun.they are not owned by UPS. This is according to the manager. You can drop four or five shells in a flat rate box and pack them si they don't roll around and they wont get a second look.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post:
Unread 01-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #22
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,450 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne goerres View Post
Pete there is no has-mat fee on loaded ammo just powder and primers and percussion caps. The people at our UPS store told me that the individual Ups stores our owned by a company that has its own set of shipping rules. Very anti gun.they are not owned by UPS. This is according to the manager. You can drop four or five shells in a flat rate box and pack them si they don't roll around and they wont get a second look.
That's what i have been told too.
Unread 01-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #23
Ryan Keirl
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ok, I got all my conponents except red dot. Hopefully, my wife will pick some up at scheels if they have it in stock tomorrow. I weighed out 1 1/8 oz of 7.5 shot. I put the 16 gauge 1/2" fiber wad in first and the shot would spill over the top of the SP10. When I go to actually load acouple of these, should I put the fiber wad under still and just let the shot be contained by the hull or shot first and thrn the wad under crimp?
Ryan Keirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #24
Ryan Keirl
Forum Associate

Member Info

Double post
Unread 01-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #25
Ryan Keirl
Forum Associate

Member Info

And im pretty sure my OD Rem hulls ave more internal volume than the federals that everyone uses. Going to have to cut hulls down a little more I believe and add a washer or something under the short kit for my mec
Unread 02-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #26
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,387 Times in 1,644 Posts

For 1 1/8oz #7 or #8's I use two .125 16ga card wads in the bottom of the sp-10 shot cup. The 16ga card wads from circle fly actually measure about .140 thick. I get a good crimp with either the Remington or Federal hull cut to exactly 2 7/8"
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #27
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Keirl View Post
Ok, I got all my conponents except red dot. Hopefully, my wife will pick some up at scheels if they have it in stock tomorrow. I weighed out 1 1/8 oz of 7.5 shot. I put the 16 gauge 1/2" fiber wad in first and the shot would spill over the top of the SP10. When I go to actually load acouple of these, should I put the fiber wad under still and just let the shot be contained by the hull or shot first and thrn the wad under crimp?
I would not worry about shot being over the shot cup of the SP10 wad as long as the overall height is correct for a good crimp. These old guns were built and shot long before the plastic shot cup had been invented. In the old days the entire shot column was in contact with the bore. Using 1 1/8 ounce loads and the SP10 with that 1/2 filler wad my Parker will pattern in the high 80 percentile and my Remington 1894 in the low 90 percentile. The small amount of shot not in the cup won't matter.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #28
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,788 Times in 3,967 Posts

that 1 1/8 ounce load in a short ten has got to be one of the best patterning loads ever developed....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #29
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

CL, it's cheaper to cut a 1/2" cushion wad the cut the correct thickness than to use two 125 cards. You can get two reloads out of one wad. Your way would use four wads. Also, I found you first seat the plastic wad then lightly seat the fiber wad in the plastic wad. If you use too much pressure doing it together or seating the fiber wad sometimes the fiber wad will stick in the drop tube and cause a mess after the shot drop. I now have a 12ga drop tube installed and haven't had the problem again.
Unread 07-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #30
Michael Watson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Keirl View Post
If you want a tight pattern, put the fiber wads in first. If you want a wider pattern put the shot in first. The fiber wads act like a spreader wad. These are the results that I've seen with my reloads in my gun. Load a couple of each and see what your gun likes.
Michael Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Watson For Your Post: