Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 08-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

Steve, I have a MEC Grabber with the fingers type resizer. Don't have a separate resizer. I also have a 12ga Grabber.

Gun is a P 16ga, bores and chambers original, and also a C 16, same sticking.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 02:37 AM   #12
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have a Mec 650 and 600 with the ring resizers on them. I have had many hulls get stuck in my pumps. But never in my Parkers.

With this said for the future hulls that I might use in my pumps I am currently looking for one of those MEC super sizers. I here these are the best resizer to get...

Last edited by Keith Parrish; 08-18-2011 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: error
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
Steve Havener
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bruce the only thing I can think of that you might try is to adjust the re-sizer collet down until the shells stop sticking and the second is to polish the chambers with some steel wool wrapped around a bore brush and dipped in very fine grit polishing compound to knock down any corrosion, burnt powder or plastic case residue that may have accumulated over the years.
Steve Havener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

The chamber is clean but I will adjust the collet. I didn't know it was adjustable!!

Now where did i put that manual? You mean I was supposed to read that?
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #15
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,824 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Parrish View Post
I have a Mec 650 and 600 with the ring resizers on them. I have had many hulls get stuck in my pumps. But never in my Parkers.

With this said for the future hulls that I might use in my pumps I am currently looking for one of those MEC super sizers. I here these are the best resizer to get...
The MEC 650 is a progressive reloader and it does NOT have a resizing collet on the deprime station, therefore shells are not resized using that reloader.

A MEC 600 does have a resizing collet. Your problem may be using shells that were reloaded on the 650. Trying depriming your hulls on the 600 and then loading them on the 650 that may solve the problem of hulls sticking in any of your guns.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,824 Times in 1,376 Posts

A MEC case conditioner is nothing more than a stand alone deprime station used on MEC single stage reloaders. If you already have a single stage MEC in the same gauge as a MEC 650 it would seem to be a needless expenditure.

PS. I have had a stand alone super sizer (fingers/collet) in 12ga since the 70's. Aside from a couple of handle return springs it has required no maintence. It is much easier for use on shells using steel heads instead of brass compared to a resizing collet. Maybe I have just been lucky.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Cleaning the chamber
Unread 08-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Cleaning the chamber

When my 20 gauge hulls were sticking in a SxS some years ago I solved it by using a 28 gauge bronze brush with a piece of white Scotchbrite pad wrapped around it. Using a section of the small diameter cleaning rod in my hand drill I ran the SB in and out of the chamber cleaning all the powder and plastic residues. I made sure when I cleaned and oiled the barrels thereafter some of the oil or barrel lube coated the chamber, too.

The green and black Scotchbrite pads will actually remove metal, so that is not an alternative. White SB pads are usually available in restaurant, body shop and auto supply stores. JF
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #18
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have the seperate attachment for my MEC 650 that came with a stand to set the hulls on while resizing. It is the same as on my 600 just need the stand (riser) to keep the shells above the carrier. I use these before each reload.

I am still going to purchase a Super Sizer and learning today that they are adjustable will surely confirm that my shells are resized to the correct dimensions.
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote