Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 02-12-2021, 06:58 PM   #11
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Welcome to the PGCA Bruce. That is a beautiful gun. I’d say most of us buy RST shells but if they aren’t available you can try posting in General Discussion forum and ask what others are using.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 02-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

Buy a wall thickness gauge with your leftover cash. This gun may be thick enough for common 1200 fps field loads.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #13
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Buy a wall thickness gauge with your leftover cash. This gun may be thick enough for common 1200 fps field loads.
Bill:

Yea. I am going to have them checked. They do seem thick but looking thick and being adequate are two different things. I am going to have them miced when I send them to be cleaned up.
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2021, 10:40 PM   #14
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,060 Times in 283 Posts

Very nice Bruce! I have one the Dr. gave me as a gift. Took me a couple years to bring mine all together. I found screws, replaced springs, did some checkering and rubbed some finish. I like your engraving, the dogs are very realistic looking! These old LeFevers are something special! Mine's a field gun, your's could be also, don't deprive yourself!
Chris,AZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180825_091705.jpg (504.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180825_091620.jpg (507.8 KB, 8 views)
Chris Robenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Robenalt For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #15
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Robenalt View Post
Very nice Bruce! I have one the Dr. gave me as a gift. Took me a couple years to bring mine all together. I found screws, replaced springs, did some checkering and rubbed some finish. I like your engraving, the dogs are very realistic looking! These old LeFevers are something special! Mine's a field gun, your's could be also, don't deprive yourself!
Chris,AZ
Chris:

Thanks for the comment. These guns ARE something special. I really like the wood on your gun. Walnut comes in so many colors phases and grain looks. What is the butt stock on your gun ? Is it original ?

I will likely use it shooting skeet, doves and some waterfowl. My ability to walk much has diminished. Not that I planned it that way.
AMM 761
Unread 02-18-2021, 03:46 PM   #16
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bruce, my buttstock is straight with a Redhead pad I think. Not sure if pad was original, it was missing so I ground an old one I had. Single select trigger, 28" Damascus IC & IM I believe, ejectors. The Dr. bought it as a package deal, came out of Pennsylvania. He gifted It to me. It came in parts and I put it all back together and returned it to the bird fields. Haven't shot it in awhile. I think I'll take it and a little DS 20 I have out this weekend to shoot some birds. I load 3/4 ounce, Win Lite, Win 209, AA hulls. Off hand I'm not sure, but I think PSI is 5600, maybe 1050 - 1100FPS? Has recoil of a 410... I can adjust loads with 7/8 or 1 ounce. If I want. I love mine and I know you'll be loving your's soon enough!
Chris, AZ
Unread 02-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #17
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Bruce, my buttstock is straight with a Redhead pad I think. Not sure if pad was original, it was missing so I ground an old one I had. Single select trigger, 28" Damascus IC & IM I believe, ejectors. The Dr. bought it as a package deal, came out of Pennsylvania. He gifted It to me. It came in parts and I put it all back together and returned it to the bird fields. Haven't shot it in awhile. I think I'll take it and a little DS 20 I have out this weekend to shoot some birds. I load 3/4 ounce, Win Lite, Win 209, AA hulls. Off hand I'm not sure, but I think PSI is 5600, maybe 1050 - 1100FPS? Has recoil of a 410... I can adjust loads with 7/8 or 1 ounce. If I want. I love mine and I know you'll be loving your's soon enough!
Chris, AZ
Chris:

That must have been an interesting rebuild. I have seen these Lefever's taken apart and I am not sure I want to get into that....

My question above had to do with "what kind of walnut is that?" I really like the lines....

I should add; God willing the gun will see some dove, waterfowl, and target shooting. And, of course, some showing off.
AMM 761
Unread 02-18-2021, 10:52 PM   #18
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here are a couple better pics of the stock. I know LeFever used English, French and Circassion walnut. I don't know my woods. Perhaps Chris Dawe or Brian Dudley could help identify. I just cleaned the wood, freshened up the checkering and rubbed some finish in. I wanted to keep the character and age to match the metal. We are lucky to have these old guns Bruce, not a lot of them around to be had. Hope you enjoy your's as much as I do mine!
Chris, AZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180822_162122.jpg (502.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180822_162230.jpg (507.3 KB, 5 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Robenalt For Your Post:
Unread 02-19-2021, 12:41 AM   #19
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Here are a couple better pics of the stock. I know LeFever used English, French and Circassion walnut. I don't know my woods. Perhaps Chris Dawe or Brian Dudley could help identify. I just cleaned the wood, freshened up the checkering and rubbed some finish in. I wanted to keep the character and age to match the metal. We are lucky to have these old guns Bruce, not a lot of them around to be had. Hope you enjoy your's as much as I do mine!
Chris, AZ
Chris:

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yea, I know, these great guns are something to special. Many represent great family history and have great stories to tell.

I am saving your pics if thats OK..
AMM 761
Unread 02-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #20
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member

Member Info

You're right about the stories Bruce. I tell my buddies if they listen hard enough, they'll hear those stories from the past, as told by the gun! I'm a believer in returning these old relics to the field. You're more than welcome to the pics! I may have more this weekend after we shoot birds. Taking my DS20 along also. Keep us up to date with yours.
Chris, AZ