Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

209 primers
Unread 12-06-2020, 11:39 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default 209 primers

where have all the primers gone....I looked on the internet tonight and not one primer of any kind could I find...some things up but don't know a thing yet...see if you guys can order any primers...I went to the gun show here at home and no primers were there...and ammo dealer told me a fellow could have done good if any body had primers to sell....this will put the hurt on us small reloaders....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2020, 05:19 AM   #2
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

Good luck finding primers or powder! It's most likely three events, pandemic hoarding, the Remington bankruptcy, and a new anti gun administration.
On a positive note Precision Relocating just got 8 ga Winchester hulls back in stock!!!!
I have started replacing Remington primers in my 3/4 oz 12ga target load with Cheddites since it could a very long time before Remington primers are available if ever.
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 12-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

there are three plausible explanations for the primer shortage -

Hoarding - people think they have to have 10's of thousand primers on hand for the impending Armageddon -

Profiteering - look on Gunbroker - there are primers for sale - at extortion prices - a box of 1000 primers (depending on size and brand) should be about $40 +/- - they are available on GB for 250 to 300 or even more - the only way to stop that is for people not to buy them - but the panic types will continue to encourage this behavoir even though they are less likely to use them any more than the garage full of toilet paper

lastly - and maybe mostly - its the ammo shortage -the ammo makers are sucking up the primers as they come off the line - because there are more hoarders stockpiling ammo than there are reloaders - the manufacturers of primers are not about to build more factory capacity for what may be a temporary crisis if that investment will not be need long term - primers take specialty equipment

the only primers I am truly low on is small pistol primers - the local gun shops I know tell me they have been on back order for most of the year with no delivery date in sight
Unread 12-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

How hard is it to ship primers do you have to disclose they may blow up if your box is hit with a sledge hammer ?
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
On a positive note Precision Relocating just got 8 ga Winchester hulls back in stock!!!!
I have started replacing Remington primers in my 3/4 oz 12ga target load with Cheddites since it could a very long time before Remington primers are available if ever.
I was sitting in a treestand last Thursday at about 07:45 when I recieved a call from Precision telling me the hulls I had on order were in , so I now have 600 headed in my direction . Those and the six hundred plus Remington hulls oughtta keep me going the rest of my life . I bought 10,000 Chedditte’s a couple months ago , but I’ve still got 14,000 or so Winchester’s and a thousand or so Remingtons and of course a thousand CCI 209M’s . All bought at regular , well what used to be regular price .
Unread 12-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
there are three plausible explanations for the primer shortage -

Hoarding - people think they have to have 10's of thousand primers on hand for the impending Armageddon -

Profiteering - look on Gunbroker - there are primers for sale - at extortion prices - a box of 1000 primers (depending on size and brand) should be about $40 +/- - they are available on GB for 250 to 300 or even more - the only way to stop that is for people not to buy them - but the panic types will continue to encourage this behavoir even though they are less likely to use them any more than the garage full of toilet paper

lastly - and maybe mostly - its the ammo shortage -the ammo makers are sucking up the primers as they come off the line - because there are more hoarders stockpiling ammo than there are reloaders - the manufacturers of primers are not about to build more factory capacity for what may be a temporary crisis if that investment will not be need long term - primers take specialty equipment

the only primers I am truly low on is small pistol primers - the local gun shops I know tell me they have been on back order for most of the year with no delivery date in sight
We’ve had customers bringing in primers for us to sell on GB . One guy brought in a sleeve (5,000) WIN small rifle primers , we listed them for $225 and as it’s an auction site they sold for about $700 . We’ve had others bring in a thousand of this or that list them at $50 and they all end up going for about $150 . I saw a pound of Hodgdon H322 on there the other day the seller was asking $225 for a single pound
Unread 12-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
How hard is it to ship primers do you have to disclose they may blow up if your box is hit with a sledge hammer ?
yes it is my understanding that primers require HAZMAT shipping

although new primed shotshells (and maybe brass) doesn't
Unread 12-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,246 Times in 1,201 Posts

Here's a pic of a buy during the "Old Days" ..... actually just a few years ago. 34 bags (850 pounds) of West Coast Magnum shot, 17,000 primers, 10,000 wads and 57 pounds of powder.

In comparison a friend made the 4-1/2 hour road round trip two weeks ago and a sign on the door showed limits of 300 Cheddite primers, two 500 count bags of wads, and one 8 pounder of powder (but nothing but a few bottles of oddball powders were left in stock). Shot however was still available at 10 bags max and that was the Peruvian Eagle brand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old days.JPG (246.3 KB, 2 views)
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 12-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

The shooting/reloading world will change drastically on Jan. 20, 2021. For better, or for worse.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
The shooting/reloading world will change drastically on Jan. 20, 2021. For better, or for worse.
How could it be for the better ?
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Huffman For Your Post: